Upgrading CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Right now I'm running a core i5-2400 but I'd like to get upgrade without going bankrupt. Would I be able to get a better performance for the value with a sandy bridge or ivy bridge? I'd like to stay with the i5 or i7. I'd also like to oc it later on once I get everything situated but out of box I want it to still be able to perform quite well. Any suggestions would be nice. Persuade me in any way possible lol

Solution
what chipset is your mb running?

if it is z77/z68 you can actually oc the i5 2400 to 3.8ghz using turno method
I would do this first before considering an upgrade

you're also better off waiting for haswell in june

why are you consudering this anyways?
what chipset is your mb running?

if it is z77/z68 you can actually oc the i5 2400 to 3.8ghz using turno method
I would do this first before considering an upgrade

you're also better off waiting for haswell in june

why are you consudering this anyways?

Solution

blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I really don't think there's enough performance to be gained in upgrading from an i5-2400 to anything on the same socket, especially if you account for buying an aftermarket cooler for ocing.
If you are doing large amounts of design or video encoding the only thing which you would notice a significant boost in performance with would be an i7-3770k, assuming you you have a z or p motherboard for ocing.
If its just for gaming, there's nothing significantly better on 1155.

If I was in your situation I would just pay the extra and go haswell when it's released

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Stickmansam - I'm only considering it due to OC capabilties being limited on a locked cpu. 3.8 is quite nice but since I'm going to install a liquid cooling system in it, mainly for eye candy, but since I'm going to have it, may as well get the best use out of it. Summer is about the time I'd have everything ready for install anyway, so I probably will wait to see the Haswell CPUs.

Blackjackedy - thank you for your info as well.

Just for the info, I have a GA-z77x-UD4H motherboard. quite nice, but nothing to extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.