Sign in with
Your question

Editing / gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2012 8:15:00 PM

I want to build a new pc for video editing and effects. I will also be playing games but that's not a priority just extra gaming performance would be nice. :bounce: 

My budget is around $1200 but not a very strict one i'd rather know what i can get for #1200 and then what the upgrade is and for what price. I'm going to be using sony vegas, photoshop and mostly editing games like montages and maybe some visual fx. Thanks everyone at toms your all great :) 

More about : editing gaming

a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2012 9:00:48 PM

What needs to be included in that $1200 (I take it that's USD) eg Monitor, keyboard/mouse, OPERATING SYSTEM?
a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2012 9:40:27 PM

id suggest this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l6yz

if you want you can use a larger SSD

the tpc 812 performs as well as the noctua d14 but cheaper.

the antec 302 provides the similar features found on the 400R but no gromments for looks. its a lot cheaper though

power supply could use a upgrade to a xfx 550w. the basiq is ok but is showing its age
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2012 10:34:25 PM

yes i said my ssd was smaller

the antec one lacks a bit of cabling room and the steel tends to be a bit thinner
October 23, 2012 12:47:02 AM

i have monitor,keyboard and mouse i might also be able to get windows 7 home premium from a friend. alosi just heard about nividia quadro's and amd firepro's are they any good and if they are a good option for editing how good would they work for gaming?
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 12:54:46 AM

quadro and firepro cards suck ass in games but kick ass in work. vice versa for the radeon and the geforce cards
October 23, 2012 1:06:52 AM

If you are editing in Adobe products then I would go with an Nvidia card. You could go with a consumer card, although if you are doing anything in 3D I would go with a Quadro. At least the 4000. I know the prices are a killer, but you get what you pay for in not only performance and optimization, but stability and customer service. Yes you can game on them, I have gamed on my FirePro many times and its fine. If you cannot afford to get a pro card, get one with the most CUDA cores you can afford (the 400 and 500 series perform better than the 600 series right now as the software not been optimized for the new architecture yet. Although the 480gtx is loud, hot and power hungry, its great for rendering and at 200 bucks it's got a great price.
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 1:10:11 AM

you could get a k5000 that is coming out this week. priced as much as a quadro 4000 but apparantly performs very good (up to 50% gains). its based off of kepler gk104. essentially the gtx680 but modded

the 480/580 still get destroyed in 3D work by even a quadro 2000 or 600
October 23, 2012 1:46:20 AM

would it be better to get an 100 dollar normal gpu or that same price for a quadro or firepro because i'm just 15 years old and im just trying new things in computer technologies :) 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 1:49:02 AM

maestro0428 said:
If you are editing in Adobe products then I would go with an Nvidia card. You could go with a consumer card, although if you are doing anything in 3D I would go with a Quadro. At least the 4000. I know the prices are a killer, but you get what you pay for in not only performance and optimization, but stability and customer service. Yes you can game on them, I have gamed on my FirePro many times and its fine. If you cannot afford to get a pro card, get one with the most CUDA cores you can afford (the 400 and 500 series perform better than the 600 series right now as the software not been optimized for the new architecture yet. Although the 480gtx is loud, hot and power hungry, its great for rendering and at 200 bucks it's got a great price.

ahhhh not entirely true.

CS 6 is now able to use openCL which AMD cards excel at over nvidia. specifically for photoshop:
Video Cards for Adobe Photoshop CS6
Quote:
Starting with Adobe Photoshop CS6, there is a new Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) that will use your video card's GPU to improve Photoshop's performance. This new Mercury Graphics Engine will provide near-instant results when working with certain key tools, such as Lighting Effects, Liquify, etc.

The best thing about the Mercury Graphics Engine is, it uses both OpenGL and OpenCL. Which means, you do NOT need a CUDA enabled video card from NVidia.

Let me repeat that, Photoshop CS6 itself, does not use CUDA, it uses OpenGL and OpenCL for GPU acceleration. So there are no hacks, mods, etc. to get your video card to work. All you need to do is setup PhotoShop CS6 to your your video card.

and it isn't the "architecture" of kepler, a cuda core is a cuda core, the problem is a number of factors.

Video Cards for Adobe Premiere CS5, CS5.5 and CS6
Quote:
For example, the GTX 570 video card has 480 CUDA cores, while the GTX680 has 1,536 CUDA cores. Since the GTX680 has more than 3X the number of CUDA cores over the GTX570, you might expect the GTX680's benchmark times to be 3X faster than the GTX570. But, they are not. They are only few seconds difference. The reason is, the memory bandwidth is smaller on the GTX6XX series of video cards, even though they have more cuda cores. Where the GTX5XX series of video cards have a much wider memory bandwidth, which makes up for them having fewer cuda cores.

cheers
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 1:51:54 AM

prolemur said:
would it be better to get an 100 dollar normal gpu or that same price for a quadro or firepro because i'm just 15 years old and im just trying new things in computer technologies :) 

if you are not a "professional" (doing it for money) then get a normal consumer card.
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 2:21:00 AM

makes sense going to a regular card then.
!