Question about my Gateway DX4200-09 Case - Mobo Upgrade

MrBufo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
So, this is my computer.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4200-09/4505-3118_7-33513602.html

Gateway series DX4200-09. I've removed the stock 300w PSU with a 500PSU, i've added a new radeon HD 6790 gpu, and now i'm working on upgrading my mobo, cpu and ram. My MAJOR question is... will the mobo i've selected, fit where the stock mobo does? Or do i need a new case??

Googling lead me to this page; http://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-dx4200-09-motherboard-4006272r_i_mb64gatdx420009.aspx

Thats the motherboard my PC has, and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130677 is the motherboard i want to install.
As well as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962 this CPU.

I asked the question in the CPU forum, but i thought about it and really my only real worry here if i buy all these components is, am i gonna have to buy a new case or not? I'm unfamiliar with differences in case sizes and motherboard sizes, i was hoping someone could shed some light on the sizes of motherboard and what differences they make inside a case.

Solution
The Gateway DX4200-09 case/chassis only fits a micro-ATX form factor (i.e. 9.6" x 9.6") motherboard. Micro-ATX motherboards can be identified by their maximum of four expansion card slots.

The 12" x 9.6" motherboard that you want is a full size ATX motherboard and it will not fit into the Gateway DX4200-09 case/chassis. Full size ATX motherboards can be identified by their maximum of seven expansion card slots.

If you definitely want to purchase the full size ATX motherboard you will have no choice but to purchase a new case to go along with it.
The Gateway DX4200-09 case/chassis only fits a micro-ATX form factor (i.e. 9.6" x 9.6") motherboard. Micro-ATX motherboards can be identified by their maximum of four expansion card slots.

The 12" x 9.6" motherboard that you want is a full size ATX motherboard and it will not fit into the Gateway DX4200-09 case/chassis. Full size ATX motherboards can be identified by their maximum of seven expansion card slots.

If you definitely want to purchase the full size ATX motherboard you will have no choice but to purchase a new case to go along with it.

Solution

MrBufo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
I actually just had (bout half an hour ago, now) a livechat with a tech support representative from Gateway, they said that the tower for DX4200-09 series desktops are rated for both ATX and microATX motherboards. I had not had time to go to my various threads and post that i had gotten my answer. :X

Conversation with Techy:

Techsupport Person: The specs of the motherboard shipped with your computer is "MB BENGAL RS780M03G1-8EKRS2HMOD FXN R ".
Me: Yes, and i believe it is a microATX motherboard,
Techsupport Person: Yes,.
Me: but by the dimensions of the computer's case itself, the case is somewhere between Mid-tower size, and mini tower size,
Me: I simply need to know if the case is rated for normal ATX boards or not.
Techsupport Person: Yes the case is normal atx.
Me: So, if i go out and spend 150$ on a new motherboard that is not microatx, but simply ATX, and i get all my computers guts ripped out and go to replace it, it will fit?
Techsupport Person: Correct.
Me: I'm aware that ATX boards are 12" by 9.6" and micro's are 9.6" by 9.6". that increase in size is compatible with the Dx4200-09's space? And i realize i'm repeating myself essentially, i just cant afford to purchase these things and then have to wait to purchase something else because the first one didnt fit.
Techsupport Person: I understand your concern.

That tech support person sounds like a clueless noob.

It's physically impossible to fit a full size ATX motherboard into a case that is designed and manufactured for micro-ATX motherboards only.

This tech support person actually thinks a motherboard with six or seven expansion slots will fit in a case that only has four expansion slot covers when you look at the back of the case? What are you going to do, cut the bottom of the case off so you can get the motherboard in?