HDD: 2TB WD 7200RPM

New build : (No overclocking)

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC
CPU: Corei7 3770k (stock fan)
MOBO: Asus Maximus V
RAM: 16 GB (2x8)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows 7 installed)
HDD: 2TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Firstly, my 'first build' worked out really well, only set back was the ram speeds.

Secondly, I bought all the stuff for my second computer Sunday, 19th 2012.

- Installed Steam (Team Fortress 2) BF3 and Guild Wars 2

Problem : I get into 'ANY' game it runs beautifully (70-100) high FPS then screen goes black and drops FPS down to 10-15 FPS, sometimes alt tabing out of the game refreshes the FPS back to around 50-60. 'SLUGGISH' happens withing 10 Minutes of entering a game.

Problem2: Game sometimes locks up and I can move the mouse but the picture is locked up

Error : Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
-Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel mode driver, Version 304.79 (beta) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

= brought the computer in 3 times this week = It is currently in the shop again fresh installing Windows and also installing a new V8 to the CPU = First time i picked it up they said the CPU fan wasn't on properly > get home same stuff happens. Second time they say the thermal paste was applied inncorrectly and over heating the CPU ran furmark mem test ect ect also said the RAM was faulty so replaced with a new 2x8s instead. Got home same *** happened

3rd time! I bring in the computer and they are trying to blame the 'SC' GTX 680 for being unstable and a bent prong in the CPU holder! LOL he was trying to point it out and there was no damage.

I asked them how can you miss this problem if you allegedly ran all these tests simutaneously over night, guy says maybe its your monitor, or something connected to the computer like a printer or fax.. dur once again trying to pin blame on my end, these INCOMPETENT techies. "Unless we can recreate the same scenerio we may not find out the problem" . After all that i was going to replace the GPU and he said no "thats not the problem we tested it" duuuurr

NOTE: I have video of it happening , and screens of MSI afterburner . However I am just looking for 3rd, 4th opinions.. I understand with this information you can only speculate but thats really all i want.

THANK YOU

Those guys really don't know what the hell they're doing. They're trying everything like you could yourself. Seems like they aren't even using diagnostic tools to determine anything.

First, I would cut my losses and not go back to that shop.

What is your GPU temp in afterburner when it stops or slows down on you? Does afterburner provide an OSD overlay (I use the EVGA Precision X software to do this)?

That's not a bad temperature range and falls far from the max rated temp liste on Nvidia's site. I would definitely switch to the production drivers so you know it's not some interaction with the beta drivers and your setup.

Is the Corsair 850 a carry-over from the first build?

Ironsteel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
-MSI Afterburner - This is without the overlay unfortunetly.

-Also i would be Alt+Tabing ,Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, and it wouldn't work for 1-2 minute delays after the FPS drop in game and freeze/lockup.

-A couple times i had to turn of computer on tower just for it to fix it self momentarly.

-Installed all drivers.

Ironsteel

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

No my other computer has Corsair 1000HX

I would upgrade the BIOS to the latest. In some cases this is all you'll need.

Also, you're in a decent position to troubleshoot because you have another build in working condition.

You can use all the parts from build one to test build two. I would try one at a time so you know exactly which does the trick.

To test whether it's a video card issue, you can grab your 580 and put it in the new build (instead of the 680). Does that work?

If so, you should exchange your video card. If not, move on to the next easiest component to swap out and put the 680 back in.

You may have a PSU issue. Did you try swapping the Corsair 1000 into the new build?

Also, you're not overclocking anything, correct?

If swapping out the other components doesn't seem to work, it could be the motherboard or the processor.