Your question

AMD Future CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2013 9:24:40 AM

28nm AMD FX 8350 Steamroller combined with Radeon HD 8000+ Series GPU

TDP below 80W
Price around $250

Will you buy this CPU over any current Intel CPU priced around $250. Discussion!

More about : amd future cpu

a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 9:29:01 AM

:pfff: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 9:50:52 AM

:pfff: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 115 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 6, 2013 10:02:23 AM

For gaming only purposes, nope. The 3570k already has a TDP below 80W and can be found for $230 usually, $200 if you look around, performs better.
Maybe if I was video editing on a budget it would be a good option, but eh...
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 10:13:29 AM

With the GPU? Depends on the GPU. I'm content with my 965 BE and 6670 DDR3, which set me back £120 total.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
March 6, 2013 5:27:37 PM

Man, I thought this was a serious topic...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 6, 2013 5:46:23 PM

I'd buy it if it for sure!
I mean you get what?
Good graphics for a HTPC.
Extremely low power consumption
And hopefully performance rivaling that of a Core i7.

I would easily spend 300$ on it, were it to fit in my AM2+ motherboard.
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 6, 2013 6:54:03 PM

Oops, didn't see that it says Steamroller, I thought it was a hypothetical 8350 with a lower TDP and integrated graphics.

Maybe, but I would need numbers to confirm the decision, because ultimately by the time it releases there will be Haswell chips on the market.
m
l
March 7, 2013 7:12:01 AM

jaguarskx said:
Man, I thought this was a serious topic...

See, the point of this topic is to find the general consensus of public towards a possible upcoming release from AMD. I have read so many times that AMD technology is outdated and couldn't compete with Intel, but when i think about this CPU, which is possible, seriously, AMD can deliver this in next few months if they want, they have to combine two different chips architecture in one, both of them they already have, production technology they already have, don't you think they should back there Steamroller CPU line before anything else, just add the new iGPU to it on a 28nm chip.

On lower Max. TDP and lower heating, I believe they will come right back in the competition against the around $ 250 Ivy Bridge line, maybe exceed it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2013 7:29:33 AM

Would i pay $250 or £200 for an AMD chip? No, here's why:

AMDs whole point of existence thus far has been because it has been a cheaper option, especially for budget builders like myself.

Yes Intel usually does do a better job, also does a better job at ripping you off.

However if I was to end up paying almost as much for an AMD CPU as I would for a Intel CPU, then why would I bother going for the AMD in the first place?
m
l
March 7, 2013 7:58:13 AM

BuddiLuva said:
Would i pay $250 or £200 for an AMD chip? No, here's why:

AMDs whole point of existence thus far has been because it has been a cheaper option, especially for budget builders like myself.

Yes Intel usually does do a better job, also does a better job at ripping you off.

However if I was to end up paying almost as much for an AMD CPU as I would for a Intel CPU, then why would I bother going for the AMD in the first place?

In my opinion, 8350 is faster then any i5 in the market right now, HD 8000+ is fastest iGPU in the market (even faster then upcoming Haswell iGPU), so i expect the combination of the two to be a preferred choice over almost all $ 250 priced Intel CPUs, and NO it's not overpriced, it is still a solid budget CPU.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
March 7, 2013 1:17:26 PM

austenwhd said:
See, the point of this topic is to find the general consensus of public towards a possible upcoming release from AMD. I have read so many times that AMD technology is outdated and couldn't compete with Intel, but when i think about this CPU, which is possible, seriously, AMD can deliver this in next few months if they want, they have to combine two different chips architecture in one, both of them they already have, production technology they already have, don't you think they should back there Steamroller CPU line before anything else, just add the new iGPU to it on a 28nm chip.

On lower Max. TDP and lower heating, I believe they will come right back in the competition against the around $ 250 Ivy Bridge line, maybe exceed it.

In general, AMD's architecture is not "outdated" compared to Intel. It is just a different design approach that is not as efficient as Intel's architecture. Due to lower IPC, AMD must be clocked higher in order to compete against Intel's CPUs. That is one of the reasons why AMD CPU consume a lot of power. Other things that contributes to the high power consumption is the architecture design itself where the power state probably does not go as low as Intel CPU. There's also the fact that the more cores there are in a CPU, the higher the power consumption. Lastly, there's the difference in the transistor die size (lithography) 22nm for Intel and 32nm for AMD.

Overall, AMD CPUs are not bad CPU. Though Bulldozer is definitely a misstep on AMD's behalf much like Intel's extended deep pipelines for the Pentium 4 in a futile attempt to increase performance. However, since Intel abandoned the Pentium 4 platform design concept (e.g. the release of the Core 2 Duo / Quad CPUs) their CPUs provide better performance than what AMD has to offer.
m
l
March 7, 2013 2:07:49 PM

Okay, moving on...
m
l
!