Windows 7 Installation Failure

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So I have been working on this problem for pretty much an entire day straight with no avail. Here is my issue:

I originally started with an HP build computer. I eventually upgraded both the GPU and the powersupply with no issues at all. Recently, I decided to do a complete rebuild of my computer using only my GPU (Nvidia Gtx 580) and my original hard drive from the HP built machine.

I researched and found that there would be many issues simply putting an old hard drive in an all new computer, so I backed up all my data to an external hard drive, and then used a system tool I learned about on Microsoft's website called Sysprep, which would supposedly prepare the drive for a new computer. When I tried to boot into the drive in the newly built computer, it failed and kept requiring a reboot in an endless cycle.

I then proceeded to create a Windows 7 x64 installation DVD and reformat my hard drive and try to do a clean install. However, when I install the OS, after the stage called Installing Features..., where it requires a reboot, I got an error saying that the kernel was missing or corrupt and that Windows could not boot.

Since then, I have reformatted my hard drive several times, reinstalled Windows several times using both the burned DVD (made with an ISO from the internet) and a retail DVD copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Every time I reinstall, I get a 0xc0000221 error code with info saying that one of several key files is missing or corrupt. I have even had a few installs where the Boot Manager was missing.

Things I have tried:
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
- reinstalling a clean Windows Copy
- ensured all 16Gb of my RAM were good
- manually created the install partitions
- let Windows create the install partitions
- formatting the drive as EFI or GPT ( Of all this I'm not 100% what this means )
- manually extracting the BCD and rebuilding it
- cleaning the drive (data-wise) several times

I'm just quite stumped on what to do here. I have Google'd every single aspect of the installation problems that I can and haven't had any luck with any of the proposed solutions. Sorry about the troubleshooting information dump but I just want to see if anyone out there knows of any method that I haven't tried yet.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have also created and used a Repair Disk that sometimes allows me to try and fix the installation, sometimes doesn't but regardless of whether or not it even attempts it, it never manages to fix anything, culminating in "Start-up repair was unable to fix..."

UPDATE: So after continually trying all of the steps I mentioned above and many others, I finally decided that perhaps my hard drive was failing, even though chkdsk found no errors with it. I went to Best Buy and bought a new 3Tb hard drive, installed it in my case and the Windows installation seems to be going through. I passed the first reboot and am now in the "Completing Installation..." phase, which I had never gotten to with the old hard drive, so it should be good now. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! I really appreciate the help.

I would remove memory sticks, install with one, than the other etc.

Read the Thread People ! He has formatted & installed several times with a bad install as the result ! How can he run chkdsk or memtest when he can't boot ! - Strange install errors like this are usually cause by a bad memory stick, and trying one at a time will usually cure the problem. If that doesn't cure the problem, Then use another HD and make sure it is configured properly in setup and do the install.

Erm... he can't install or boot windows. memtest86 and chkdsk do not require windows to be installed. you run them from a CD or flash drive. memtest86 does not require a drive be installed at all. if it shows errors he has a memory problem. if it checks clean chkdsk can be run. nothing wrong with swapping the memory but if the setting are wrong or both sticks have problems its not gonna do anything. memtest will actually prove if there's a problem with it

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I have verified my memory only through it being recognized in my BIOS, so I will try removing it and starting again. For what it is worth, I did also do chkdsk and no bad sectors were found and so no bad sectors were fixed.

EDIT: So I have replaced the 16Gb of RAM with 6Gb of known-good RAM and the issue persists.

Given your HDD was good when it left your old system, and that it passes chkdsk, that only really leaves a mobo problem, data getting screwed somewhere in the system, chipset perhaps? Another possibility, could the optical drive be firing out mis-information?

ArmoredKingyo

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I'm leaning toward I damaged the hard drive some where in transition. I just got a brand new hard drive and am installing Windows as I type this so I will update with info from there. If this doesn't work I will try a new optical drive as well and if that too fails then it is almost assuredly the motherboard which would suck big time.

techmanc

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
The reason I suggested a low level format of the hard drive in my previous post as it may have have error on the drive/mbr that wont be fixed by reformatting the drive. The low level format will restore the drive to its virgin state.