tator_80

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
At the moment here is my set up
CPU - Intel I7-2600
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Le
GPU -Asus GTX 550Ti
OZC 60G SSD (OS)
Western Digital 2TB HDD(Everything Else)
PSU -Corsair TX650
RAM -Corsair Vengeance 16G

my PSU is not an issue at the moment. I'm thinking it will be fine if I upgrade to a 670, but I'm just curious. Will the 650w be enough? For some reason every time I look at builds with these kinds of GPU's the PSU is way higher. This isn't a brand new build, it's going on about 2 years now maybe 3. Just looking to upgrade my Graphics Card

I only want the upgrade is my PSU can handle it, otherwise I'll stick with the 550Ti

Solution
G

Your PSU has 53a on the 12v rail. You are well above a 670. As for upgrading...what games would you...
G

Your PSU has 53a on the 12v rail. You are well above a 670. As for upgrading...what games would you be playing, what resolution, and do you need maxed details?
Looking at the graphics card hierarchy chart, the 670 is 6 tiers above your 550ti. They recommend at least a 3+ tier upgrade. SO if you game heavily at 1080p or higher then it could make sense to get a 670. a 660ti would probably suffice as well, overclocked a 660ti is within a few percentage points(sometimes equal) of a stock 670 for ~$100 less.

Solution

tator_80

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Yarmock
i thought the PSU would be, I just wasn't positive on it. As for what i use it for, i like to game at a high resolution, usually playing Mafia 2, Borderlands, Rage,Tribes among some others. like you said though if your going to upgrade it needs to be at least 3+ tier upgrade minimum. Not shooting for the minimum though. I want something i wont even have to think about upgrading for maybe another 4 or 5 years, if not more.

G

If you are looking for 4 years I would def recommend a 670 for 1080p gaming. I am building a new pc for this winter and will be getting a 670 or 680 depending on which resolution i decide to go with. But I expect that to last me at least 3-4 years. I usually upgrade every 2 years but have no need now as my last 2 systems can handle all games at decent FPS.

You cant go wrong with the 670.