[Werewolf] What is a stormcrow?

Hello,

As we know, the Shadowlords' totem Grandfather Thunder is not known
to be especially talkative, so communication usually takes place
through his servants, the stormcrows. Now I am wondering, is there a
*real* stormcrow or is it a mystical bird? The only bird I found on the
net which is sometimes refered to as stormcrow is actually an american
cuckoo [Yellow-billed cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus)], and somehow I
can't imagine the totem of a tribe of russian origin to use these as
his messengers.

Thanks,
Boris

william

Boris Pöhlmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As we know, the Shadowlords' totem Grandfather Thunder is not known
> to be especially talkative, so communication usually takes place
> through his servants, the stormcrows. Now I am wondering, is there a
> *real* stormcrow or is it a mystical bird? The only bird I found on the
> net which is sometimes refered to as stormcrow is actually an american
> cuckoo [Yellow-billed cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus)], and somehow I
> can't imagine the totem of a tribe of russian origin to use these as
> his messengers.
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

It's a myth/folk lore that crows herald and bring trouble and storms
when they enter a house. I don't remember where it originated in Europe,
but the most famous reference I can think of is in the Lord of the Rings.

William

"William" wrote:

> It's a myth/folk lore that crows herald and bring trouble and
> storms when they enter a house.

So the term "stormcrow" would apply to *any* kind of crow, not just a
single species, right?

Boris

> So the term "stormcrow" would apply to *any* kind of crow, not just a
>single species, right?

In myth it symbolizes a crow that heralded misfortune in the form of death and
or storms.

In speech, and in Lord of the Rings, it symbolizes a person who always comes
riding the winds of trouble. The sort who shows up shortly before the city is
surrounded with news of its peril, things like that.

In Werewolf, the stormcrow is a storm spirit that happens to take the form of a
crow. They are Grandfather Thunder's most common emissaries and spies. Their
stats are in Axis Mundi, and I believe a few other books.
-Star Speaker
Devotee of Silent Bob

Hmmm, I left this paragraph out, but I sure thought it real loud!:

So I suppose a stormcrow could appear as whatever species of crow it wanted, if
you know enough to differentiate as I don't. However, the one description I
remember reading somewhere said the sormcrow appeared as a crow (common, I
assume) with lightning bolts dancing among its feathers. It's quite obviously
a supernatural being, and not to be confused with a simple bird spirit.
-Star Speaker
Devotee of Silent Bob

"StarSpeaker" spoke:

> So I suppose a stormcrow could appear as whatever species
> of crow it wanted [...] with lightning bolts dancing among its
> feathers. It's quite obviously a supernatural being, and not to
> be confused with a simple bird spirit.

Thank you, that was a very helpful answer.

Bye,
Boris

StarSpeaker squarked:
> So I suppose a stormcrow could appear as whatever species of crow it
> wanted, if you know enough to differentiate as I don't. However, the
> one description I remember reading somewhere said the sormcrow
> appeared as a crow (common, I assume) with lightning bolts dancing
> among its feathers. It's quite obviously a supernatural being, and
> not to be confused with a simple bird spirit.

For a great visualisation, check out Lawrence Allen William's art for Rage:
http://www.werepenguin.co.uk/downloads/stormcrow.jpg
--
Picks-at-Flies
Beware acronyms.