Sign in with
Your question

Evaluating professional-grade monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2012 5:45:34 PM

So I'm in the market for a couple of professional-grade monitors. Yay! (Boo! on price).

But I can't find out good specifications. FOr instance, some monitors are "true" 8-bit monitors, others send 6 bits of color information and then dithers the color to obtain a bigger gamut of colors. Both, however, claim 16 million colors. For instance, the dell monitor is the only one that claims 97% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

Then there is IPS. And Samsung's PLS.

And apparently IPS panels are graded and only grade A and A+ are really high-quality and the rest are not so good.

Anyone knows where and how to dig through the muddle?

Thanks for advice! :) 

Oh, and BTW, I can't post this without chooing a sub-section, while there is actually no subsection for monitor questions, even though the forum heading says graphics and *displays*. :( 
August 27, 2012 7:06:29 PM

Depends on what you intend to use the monitors for. For graphic design where color matching the screen to printed output is critical not only do you need a great monitor, but you should also use a monitor calibration tool such as a huey.

For anything else spending big bucks is overkill.
m
l
August 27, 2012 7:49:49 PM

Yes, this is for photographic and design work that has to match printed output. And I know about the color calibration programs such as Spyder and Huey.

But still, I can't get past the basic and sometimes misleading specs. so everyone recommends either the Dell Premium screens or the other company I now forget the name of.

So I'd like to be able to do some research myself. Hence I'm asking if anyone knows a good site to review monitors on?

Thanks again.
m
l
!