Evaluating professional-grade monitors

So I'm in the market for a couple of professional-grade monitors. Yay! (Boo! on price).

But I can't find out good specifications. FOr instance, some monitors are "true" 8-bit monitors, others send 6 bits of color information and then dithers the color to obtain a bigger gamut of colors. Both, however, claim 16 million colors. For instance, the dell monitor is the only one that claims 97% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

Then there is IPS. And Samsung's PLS.

And apparently IPS panels are graded and only grade A and A+ are really high-quality and the rest are not so good.

Anyone knows where and how to dig through the muddle?

Thanks for advice! :)

Oh, and BTW, I can't post this without chooing a sub-section, while there is actually no subsection for monitor questions, even though the forum heading says graphics and *displays*. :(
2 answers Last reply
More about evaluating professional grade monitors
  1. Depends on what you intend to use the monitors for. For graphic design where color matching the screen to printed output is critical not only do you need a great monitor, but you should also use a monitor calibration tool such as a huey.

For anything else spending big bucks is overkill.
  2. Yes, this is for photographic and design work that has to match printed output. And I know about the color calibration programs such as Spyder and Huey.

But still, I can't get past the basic and sometimes misleading specs. so everyone recommends either the Dell Premium screens or the other company I now forget the name of.

So I'd like to be able to do some research myself. Hence I'm asking if anyone knows a good site to review monitors on?

Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics