Descent into the Underworld...

The descent of gods into the underworld is a common image in myth and
fantasy. Has this ever occured canonically in the World of Darkness?
In this case, I'm thinking of "gods" as specifically Umbrood from the
Astral/High Umbra. How would you do such a thing in your game setting?
Come to think of it, this could be a kickass idea for a Wu Lung
campaign: Your Cabal has been selected to be the personal servants and
bodyguards of Kuan-Yin, Goddess of Mercy, during her visit with the
Jade Emperor...

How might the opposite be accomplished? Has there ever been a story
where Wraiths found themselves in the Middle or High Umbra, or even in
the Dreaming? Can they stay in those other realms, or will they start
to suffer the longer they stay away from the Low Umbra? Just as humans
become spirits if they tarry overlong, maybe Wraiths can actually
become Umbrood, perhaps becoming attached to a spirit court? Could
there be some sort of dimensional overlap between an Astral,
Chimerical, and Wraithly Heaven or Hell, allowing a "shortcut" between
the two?

Lastly, do we know what happens to the soul of a human if he dies in
the High Umbra (assuming that he would have become a Wraith if he'd
died on Earth); does it simply proceed to the Underworld as normal, or
does something more exotic occur?

Dex

> How might the opposite be accomplished? Has there ever been a story
> where Wraiths found themselves in the Middle or High Umbra, or even in
> the Dreaming?

I believe that there is a type of changeling from 'Denizens of the Dreaming'
called Kermit who are essentially Wraiths who got stuck in the dreaming at
the time of death instead of going to the shadowlands. I'm not entirely
certain as I don't own the book, but merely skimmed a friend's copy.

-Essex

Essex wrote:
>I believe that there is a type of changeling from 'Denizens of the Dreaming'
>called Kermit who are essentially Wraiths who got stuck in the dreaming at
>the time of death instead of going to the shadowlands. I'm not entirely
>certain as I don't own the book, but merely skimmed a friend's copy.

The Keremet are a little more complicated than that: What they are implied to
be are the souls of humans that got displaced by sidhe. They're sort of faerie
psychopomps.

Phil

smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega) wrote in message news:<27420f11.0404110100.70bedd14@posting.google.com>...

> How might the opposite be accomplished? Has there ever been a story
> where Wraiths found themselves in the Middle or High Umbra, or even in
> the Dreaming?

Well, in early WOD material, when everyone got to meet everyone else
and know a lot about everyone else, we Wraith fans had Artificers in
the Digital Web, Sandmen in the edges of the Dreaming and entrances to
other Umbras off deep in the Tempest. This seems to have been backed
away from in 2nd ed, but it was never completely retconned, either.

So it should be possible for folks to meet on each other's turf - just
not so easily, or all that often.