Is my power supply shot?

Sorinx90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello, last September I ordered all the parts I needed to build my first computer. I set up everything, and it seemed to be running smoothly until I began playing Guild Wars 2. After about 2-3 hours of playing my computer clicked and shut off immediately, without a proper shut down. I turned it back on, it ran for 30 minutes, as soon as I loaded GW2 the same thing happened. After this the computer would turn on for a split second before completely cutting out. I can rule out the mobo and cpu because I've tried 2 different kinds of each with the same issue. Then after attempting to turn it on after installing each piece I never got power. If I remember right the paperclip test did not work when I tried last. Could I come to the assumption that it is my PSU that is keeping me from enjoying my new computer?

arges86

Distinguished
If it doesn't power on, or POST, then it can be the PSU
Before buying a new one, I would try to re-seat all the PSU cables first.
If you can't even get the computer to power on, then its pretty hard to test the amps of the PSU, since there needs to be a draw for it show any power fluctuations.

If you do get a new PSU, get one that is 80+ certified

This is a good way to find an excellent PUS that probably wont die on you any time soon:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/80-plus-platinum-power-supply-efficiency,3327.html

Or use the PSU that Toms used in their System Builder Marathon:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-benchmark,3441.html

Sorinx90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I've attempted to re seat all of the cables and hardware and I always end up with the same result. I'm wondering if the PSU just wasn't capable of handling the system that I built and somehow that was the reason I'm experiencing these problems.

This is the current one I am having issues with: COOLMAX CX-550B 550W ATX12V Power Supply

Gfx: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor - AMD Phenom II X6, 2000 Bus Speed, 3072 L2 Cache, Socket AM3, 125W (

Mobo: M5A78L-M LX PLUS

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Case: APEX PCV-588 Black Steel ATX

Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen

As arges said 550w is plenty for that rig(a good 400w will run it), however
Coolmax are amongst the worse PSU's out there, from your explaining of
the problem, I suspect it has just crapped out on you.

The best alternative if it's avail to you, is to try it out on another PC that is working ok.
You'd know right away if it's the PSU.

Here's a couple Coolmax reviews to give you an idea:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=72

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-V-500-Power-Supply-Review/1366

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=68

Sorinx90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
So I just pulled the PSU out of the box to do the paperclip test on it one last time to make sure that it wasn't working. When I plug it in and perform the test I get a small clicking noise but no rotation of the fan. I also noticed a spark inside of the PSU. I'm assuming this means it is in fact no good?

Sorinx90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
My story is never ending. The PSU is working during the paperclip test now. However it was sparking when trying before and the fan would not rotate. ATM I have it rigged with a paperclip and have it running on a hard surface to see how long it will last. Now I noticed I had to have the 12 pin's wires in a certain way for it to stay on, which could just be that I was moving the pin's inside around and the clip wasn't touching. If it's not the PSU what else could it be? I have tried 2 different CPU's, 2 different Mobo's and have resat everything (HD,CPU,GFX & RAM) one at a time to figure out which one is causing the problems. But I cannot get it to turn on. Any further help would be appreciated & thank you Arges86 for all of your help so far.

Sorinx90

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
So after noticing my PSU doesn't have a PCIE connector (which my GFX card needs) I wondered if that could have possibly been the issue. I hooked everything up and left my card completely unplugged & it turned on the first try. Now I think my GFX card came with a Molex converter 2x3 to 6 pin connector and I was only using 1 of the 2x3. I'm hoping this was my issue all a long. It has now been running for 20 minutes without the GFX.

EDIT: After further looking into it my PSU only provides 18 AMPS on the 12v rail and my card needs a minimum of 24. I think I may have found the issue.

arges86

Distinguished
That sound like it could be the issue,
under powering the card can lead to some serious stability issues,
just be glad it didn't kill your card.
Next time, make sure your PSU is able to supply the correct amount of voltage...
also having it 80+ is nice (80% effecient, as opposed to your old psu which was 65%)