Will a CM Hyper 212 Evo fit on my current setup?

Hello everyone,

I currently have a Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 AMD 890GX/SB850 6 SATA USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard, with a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, Black Edition (HDT90ZFBGRBOX), 16 GB of ram (OCZ DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ) taking up all the memory slots. All this is housed on a Xion AXP 100 Gaming Series Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

My question is would a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO fit on my tower and would allow me to keep my memory? If not, what cooler solution could I use to keep my cpu cool. It is very hot and when under on heavy load it shuts off.
6 answers Last reply
More about will hyper current setup
  1. The only way to know for sure is to take measurements. Use the measurements from the CM site to verify if you have RAM clearance and case depth or not. I have that cooler on my Gigabyte board w/fan blowing to the back of the case and there is no room for anything but low profile RAM in the first slot. The cooler sits very low. If I need to use the first slot I will have to have the cooler blow upward.
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3053
  2. It is easy with the CM cooler to attach the fan a little higher than it is supposed to to make clearance for ram, just as long the ram is not super high like some versions of Corsair Vengeance for example.
  3. A little higher, yes. I'll have to see if that will help if I decide to add RAM. I wouldn't want to raise the fan too high and not have the clip attach anymore.
  4. clutchc said:
    A little higher, yes. I'll have to see if that will help if I decide to add RAM. I wouldn't want to raise the fan too high and not have the clip attach anymore.

Hence the reference to super high heat spreaders, my 212+ is about 2 mm higher to keep it from touching the top of my Gskill ripjaws X rams.
  5. Hi everyone, I just need a quick heads up. I've installed my hyper 212 evo on my motherboard and I somehow feel the temps are still too high for idle state. After logging into windows and checking in the 'click bios 2' of my msi motherboard, the idle temp was shooting between 45C to 53C. I am beginning to wonder whether this cooler does anything good at all? These temps would be normal for the stock cooler.

Some guys mention over here that the temps in their bios shows not more than 30C or 34C. This is beginning to worry me.

And also, how far down do I have to turn the screws on the X shaped retention plate (holder)? Do I have to turn the screws all the way down till they can't turn anymore? What's the significance of the center screw right over the CPU?

Please advise guys. My components are in my signature below.

Thanks in advance.
  6. I only use the center stud for positioning. I tightened my 4 mounting screws until they were 'snug'. I could probably gain a turn or more if I forced it. But once the X bracket begins to flex, you are putting sufficient pressure on the CPU's heat spreader to securely anchor the cooler.

My processor's cores in the system in my sig reads low 30s at idle (1600MHZ) as reported by Core Temp. I am using MX-4 for my TIM.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Components