Question on gpu acceleration

DevinderSodhi

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Hi,

I use a lot of photoshop and Lightroom for photography work and Ive been informed that the GPU acceleration can really play into how i setup my build for a potential new computer

I have access to a
HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready

and I'd like to know if this is a suitable card for what i want to do- or if it matters at all. The question is first, how GPU acceleration plays into the purchase factor for a photography heavy computer build. And second if my card provides any advantage given this information.

Best regards,
Devinder

Solution
If you're using professional grade programs like Photoshop and Lightroom, then you need the professional grade video cards. AMD's FireGL or nVidia's Quadro line. Those come with special drivers which provide acceleration to specific programs, like Photoshop. A better generic video card will help, but not nearly as much as if you have one of the professional/workstation models.

cl-scott

Honorable
If you're using professional grade programs like Photoshop and Lightroom, then you need the professional grade video cards. AMD's FireGL or nVidia's Quadro line. Those come with special drivers which provide acceleration to specific programs, like Photoshop. A better generic video card will help, but not nearly as much as if you have one of the professional/workstation models.

Solution

DevinderSodhi

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Thank you Scott,

I guess it comes down to investment capability. Currently, I have about $1500 left for a computer budget. Given that, I assume my investment into the graphics card portion of things wont surpass $300. Any ideas given this additional information?