DA: Demon?

Am I the only one who thinks that the WoD Dark Ages would make for a
pretty good setting for Demon? Even tho most of the Fallen were still
locked away, it is established that enough were summoned to Earth
throughout history to make a campaign possible...

Any ideas for plots, characters, rules changes, etc (obviously, Faith
would be more commonplace)? Any chance of an actual game?

Dex

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am I the only one who thinks that the WoD Dark Ages would make for a
> pretty good setting for Demon? Even tho most of the Fallen were still
> locked away, it is established that enough were summoned to Earth
> throughout history to make a campaign possible...
>
> Any ideas for plots, characters, rules changes, etc (obviously, Faith
> would be more commonplace)? Any chance of an actual game?
>
> Dex

It wouldn't work unless you started over from scratch. All of the demons
active during the dark ages were Earthbound. Without a mortal host to
provide some counter to the eternal horror of the abyss, ALL earthbound are
irredeemable forces of evil.

-Essex

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Any ideas for plots, characters, rules changes, etc (obviously, Faith
> would be more commonplace)? Any chance of an actual game?

"Dark Ages: Devil's Due" is the book you'll be wanting. It's not on the
current release schedule, but I'm pretty sure it's a June release. Maybe
early July.

It's not a fullblown hardcover, but it _is_ a nice little package on how to
use demons in DA games.

--
Patrick O'Duffy, Brisbane, Australia

Liquor & Wordcount - www.livejournal.com/users/docredfern

Patrick O'Duffy wrote:
> "Dark Ages: Devil's Due" is the book you'll be wanting. It's not on the
> current release schedule, but I'm pretty sure it's a June release. Maybe
> early July.
>
> It's not a fullblown hardcover, but it _is_ a nice little package on how to
> use demons in DA games.

It's currently in the Retail Downloads section of the WW site as a July
release.

I don't think the core themes (heck, mechanics?) of Demon would work well in
a DA setting, espically since faith is much closer to a universal; Hence why
the earthbound had few problems getting people to perform complex rituals in
order to reap faith, in say, Rome. However there are plenty of possible
offshoots that the cosmology could be rended for in order to produce a
demon-esque game. There's never really any way to actually kill all of say,
the Nephilheim's descendants. Either way, you'd need to put some cap on
faith in order to keep everyone from running around and turning into Gods.
Near as I can tell, the original answer to this was the inquisition, but
somehow I don't think running Earthbound Vs Inquisition from the EB
perspective would be much fun.

-JRM

"Patrick O'Duffy" <patrickoduffy@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:<407a5bf9$0$16586$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>...
> "Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Any ideas for plots, characters, rules changes, etc (obviously, Faith
> > would be more commonplace)? Any chance of an actual game?
>
> "Dark Ages: Devil's Due" is the book you'll be wanting. It's not on the
> current release schedule, but I'm pretty sure it's a June release. Maybe
> early July.

Wow. Well, I'll be...uh, I mean, sounds like someone up there's listening to me.

Any chance of Dex getting a hot girlfriend soon?^^;

Dex,
who'll settle for lots of money...

"Essex" <mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message news:<3xCec.161$Ho2.4442@dfw-read.news.verio.net>...

> It wouldn't work unless you started over from scratch. All of the demons
> active during the dark ages were Earthbound. Without a mortal host to
> provide some counter to the eternal horror of the abyss, ALL earthbound are
> irredeemable forces of evil.

Actually, the game itself allows for this; sorcerors have been calling
up demons of various sorts for eons, and some of them have succeeded
in invoking the Fallen to this plane of reference. Tho only a small
handful, there have been some starting character-type Demons all
throughout history, just as there have always been suitable mortal
hosts (tho perhaps fewer in more spiritual times).

Dex,
who hates starting sentences with "actually" as it makes him sound
like even more of a Geek...

"Hand-of-Omega"

> Actually, the game itself allows for this; sorcerors have been calling
> up demons of various sorts for eons, and some of them have succeeded
> in invoking the Fallen to this plane of reference. Tho only a small
> handful, there have been some starting character-type Demons all
> throughout history, just as there have always been suitable mortal
> hosts (tho perhaps fewer in more spiritual times).

Why would there be fewer suitable mortal hosts in more spiritual times?
Just so I don't have to think about Demon for myself right now.

> Actually, the game itself allows for this; sorcerors have been calling
> up demons of various sorts for eons, and some of them have succeeded
> in invoking the Fallen to this plane of reference. Tho only a small
> handful, there have been some starting character-type Demons all
> throughout history, just as there have always been suitable mortal
> hosts (tho perhaps fewer in more spiritual times).

Well, no, or not so much anyway.

The Fallen - modern demons in mortal hosts who regain a measure of their
former morality - only exist(ed) in the modern WoD. Those hosts are
soulless, and the demon anchors itself in that soul-shaped gap and changes
its nature to fit. This is only possible in the modern day, when the
spirituality of mankind is at an all-time low, and the demons invading those
bodies are relatively weak.

In the past, when demons have been summoned and bound into human hosts,
they've been powerful and unyielding monsters, and they _eat_ the soul of
the poor bastards who are doomed by their possession.

Which is not to say that demons can't exist in mortal hosts in Dark Ages, or
that playable characters aren't a possibility. But they're _not_ the same,
in fairly important (to a Demon guy like me) ways, as the modern Fallen.