Sign in with
Your question
Closed

1GB overclock Vs 2GB straight

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2012 10:11:40 PM

This may have already been posted at some point, so, if it has I firstly apologize and would also like a link to the thread.

My question is just as the title suggests. Does a 1GB overclocked card perform better than a 2GB straight card? This is assuming that both cards are the same type just different memory values. I would like to know so when I build my next system I can get the better bang for my buck. They are GTX 550 ti if knowing what cards helps determine the answer.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 10:16:13 PM

i doubt it will perform better but seeing how a card like the 550ti will most likley not be used in a situation where more than 1GB of vram is used, i can't say there will be a benefit to getting a 2GB card.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 11:03:51 PM

For the price of GTX 550 Ti you should get an HD 7770 or GTX 560 SE...
Score
Related resources
August 28, 2012 12:32:03 AM

Sunius said:
For the price of GTX 550 Ti you should get an HD 7770 or GTX 560 SE...

While that is probably true my question was mainly directed at whether a 1gb overclocked has better performance than a 2gb straight.
Score
August 28, 2012 4:15:49 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't see how more RAM will make a video card any faster.

Maybe if you had insufficient RAM, and that resulted in delays for texture loads (and be clear that I don't know the specifics of what happens when you lack enough video RAM to keep all needed textures loaded.)
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2012 9:28:33 AM

RazorF157 said:
While that is probably true my question was mainly directed at whether a 1gb overclocked has better performance than a 2gb straight.

2 GB of VRAM for any card below HD 7850 is pretty much useless.
Score
August 28, 2012 9:36:47 AM

the difference between 1gb and 2gb in most games are minimal. Only some games right now eat up 2gb ram because they aren't very optimized games.
Score
August 28, 2012 6:53:30 PM

KaiGaming said:
the difference between 1gb and 2gb in most games are minimal. Only some games right now eat up 2gb ram because they aren't very optimized games.

However, would you say an overclocked 1gb would out-perform a 2gb regular. I think people are misunderstanding the question so perhaps I didn't phrase it the correct way. And maybe the fact that I included the example cards might be throwing people off as well.
Score

Best solution

a c 291 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2012 6:55:13 PM

As I said, it depends on the card. If you have a high end card like GTX 680, 1 GB vs 2 GB will feel a lot. However, if you have something like GTX 550 Ti, you will never tell a difference.
August 28, 2012 7:19:59 PM

Ok, just so we're a little clearer on the topic; all I'm wanting to know is if there is really a difference in performance with 1gb overclocked vs 2gb regular. And also with the cards I listed as examples if anyone would happen to know if one out-performs the other.

Now from what I have noticed from self-research is a difference in voltages, an overclocked having a higher frequency than the larger memory version that is not overclocked. So does that mean it is going to perform better or is the larger memory amount going to out-perform simply because it has double the memory?

My intuition is telling me that the 1gb overclocked is going to be slightly higher in performance than the regular, non-overclocked, 2gb card. If it helps to know specific values then I will list them below.

1GB = 950Mhz core clock, 1900Mhz shader clock, 4300Mhz effective memory clock

2GB = 900Mhz core clock, 1800Mhz shader clock, 4008Mhz effective memory clock
Score
August 28, 2012 7:21:57 PM

Sunius said:
As I said, it depends on the card. If you have a high end card like GTX 680, 1 GB vs 2 GB will feel a lot. However, if you have something like GTX 550 Ti, you will never tell a difference.

I just saw this after I made my last post (you posted before I finished my post :p ). That's a lot closer to what I'm looking for. Now just another question so I don't have to start a whole new topic and this is somewhat related. If I get the 1gb overclock version can I use it in sli mode with the 2gb even though they have a difference in memory and clocking speeds?

I do realize that having two of the same card is how it works. this is just more of a food-for-thought-type inquisition, theoretical.
Score
August 28, 2012 7:25:13 PM

Best answer selected by RazorF157.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2012 8:59:08 PM

GTX 550 Ti 1 GB overclocked would be faster than 2 GB stock.

And yes, you can SLI them together, but the card with 2 GB VRAM will make half of the VRAM inactive so it matches the other card.
Score
September 24, 2012 3:50:56 PM

Very interesting. Well thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiries. Much appreciated and helped a great deal.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 6:10:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!