Gigabyte gtx 670 low performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Just got a new GTX 670 windforce and I'm only getting 40 fps in BF3 and 20-40 fps in GW2 everywhere I go... My CPU is a zembezi FX4100 with clock speed of 4.2 ghz.

I have 6GB of ram and my mobo is MB ASUS|M5A97 970 AM3+ SB950 R. I have the latest beta driver and have no idea what is going on very frustrated lol spent 325$ and I'm not seeing any increase in performance from my crappy ATI 7850(yes I deleted AMD drivers with driver sweeper)

D

Deleted member 217926

FX 4100 is bottlenecking it.

Not BF3 I know but similar in needing a true quad core CPU. FX 4100 is a fake quad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

" AMD's dual-module FX-4000-series demonstrates a colossal gain between 3 and 4 GHz, though, telling us that the processor is bottlenecking performance in a big way at lower frequencies.

Pushing the Llano-based APU up to 3 GHz (from 2 GHz) is less rewarding, though there is a speed-up to be had. (Ed.: Clearly, it appears that AMD's best shot at catching Sandy Bridge at 3 GHz is a quad-core Bulldozer-based chip at 5 GHz or so. Sorry, couldn't resist)."

And........

"The next experiment involves altering each architecture to determine how many processing cores Guild Wars 2 is able to exploit.

Four physical cores appear ideal, based on our results from the Sandy Bridge design. Sandy Bridge-E doesn't seem to introduce any benefit at all. Intel's dual-core, Hyper-Threaded Core i3 and dual-core Pentium are notably slower, though they still embarrass the eight-core AMD FX at 3 GHz.

The six- and eight-core FX processors perform fairly similarly, while the quad-core FX-4000-series is quite a bit slower. Remember, though, that the eight-core chip actually consists of four Bulldozer modules. The six- and four-core parts feature three and two modules, respectively. Each module involves notable resource-sharing, which likely affects performance."

Are the important parts.

In summary Bulldozer is not what to buy to mix with a high end GPU.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Are you positive it is my CPU? I thought a clock speed of 4.2 ghz was enough to run anything.. I can use it to record skyrim at almost 60 fps. and if so, can you recommend a good CPU I can buy that isn't to expensive that will let me use the 670 without bottle necking it? thanks.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Are you sure this is a good buy? I'm extremely poor after buying this PC and won't be able to get anything else if I purchase that. Would it beat my current CPU by a lot?

thatgentlemen

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
First of all, these answers are horribly snobby and uncaring as to what you can afford. They are also lacking in info. I highly doubt it has anything to do with your CPU. I'm running a AMD FX-8120 and it's more than enough to power any game, although I got better performance with my gtx 570 than with sli GTX 670 on Guild Wars 2. I had a decent 40 fps on GW2 with the 570, but now that I have sli I get 30 fps which makes absolutely no sense. I would have to go out on a limb and say it's the game engines not being optimized very well. When it comes to BF3 though, it would really depend on your resolution although 40 fps isn't bad at all but should definitely be achieving a higher frame rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.