Sign in with
Your question

New PC is dead, no clue as to why.

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 4:59:38 AM

Earlier this year I built my first PC. Everything went fine, but it kept getting BSODs. I ran memtest, found the RAM to be faulty, and replaced it, but kept getting BSODs despite memtest clearing the new RAM. I checked the system files and found them to be corrupted, so started repairing them, but got another BSOD in the process, after which I got a random error upon trying to start up(I apologize but I cannot recall the specific error), after which it would almost always not even load the BIOS - occasionally it will load the opening BIOS screen but nothing more.

I figured it was a motherboard issue, as the case still started up and all the fans ran but nothing loaded, so I sent in an RMA on it. After a long process of babysitting MSI I got it back today, but after installing it is the exact same results.

If you need anymore info I will provide as possible, I am at a complete loss as to what the issue could be.

More about : dead clue

October 23, 2012 5:54:59 AM

Possible HDD failure, could you try booting into a linux live CD to view the SMART data for the hard drive.
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:55:17 AM

+1^

also once you make a boot disc with linux (download from Ubuntu.com) it will allow you to re-format your hard drive. Make sure you format it for window i.e. NTFS
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 8:38:54 AM

Attempted the Linux boot disc, but no results. PC still doesn't post :/ 
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:40:22 AM

hmmm, probably CPU or motherboard. Is the motherboard giving a beep error?
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:47:46 AM

Update the bios if you can. And remove all of the ram sticks except for one, ive had memtest86 clear ram for me multiple times then i find out one of the sticks was faulty.
(not saying its the case for everyone but helps to check)

m
l
October 23, 2012 12:16:51 PM

im almost afraid to ask, what is your psu?
m
l
October 23, 2012 5:37:04 PM

Motherboard is not giving a beep error - it is silent when it loads.

My PSU is a Rosewill 630w.
m
l
October 23, 2012 5:42:38 PM

that could very well be the problem
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:42:01 PM

If it's a Green Series 630W it's a decent one. That does not mean it's not bad, but these symptoms don't match a failing PSU.

I see no hardware list here. You need to provide that up front so that people don't have to pull the info out of you one piece at a time. Be specific about the RAM.

The motherboard does not control the memory. The CPU does.... at least in any modern PC.

m
l
October 23, 2012 7:02:29 PM

If you had a bad stick of ram, it can cause file system corruptions, you can never know what it corrupted, so at the very least you'll want to format once you get back to posting.

As for why you don't see any posting. Have you tried a cmos reset?
After that, have you tried shuffling your ram around? Attempt to boot from a single stick, and try all the sticks you have.

If the PSU cannot supply enough power to your graphics card, your PC will not post. If you have an integrated graphics (sandybridge or later intel), try using it in place of your graphics card.

Lastly, do you have a PC speaker that you can confirm that it doesn't POST, get beepcodes? Are you sure the computer isn't simply booting with no video output (or outputting on the wrong adapter)?
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:26:49 PM

Sorry for the delay, was waiting to have a chance to test the PSU.

There does not appear to be an issue with the PSU.

Scribbles, I have tried a cmos reset from awhile ago, but to no avail. There is no PC Speaker, nor is there an integrated graphics card.

As for the specs, sorry I should have gotten them sooner:

MB MSI|P67A-G43 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R
XFX HD 6870
Rusewill 630w Green Series
Core I5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB DDR3
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:55:35 PM

Get a PC speaker so that you can hear any beep codes. Sometimes local repair shops carry them. Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSUs can fail in many ways, and the presence of power does not mean the power is correct to power a system. Just to be clear.

Rapid degradation ending with no post, with initial BSODs... I'm guessing CPU. The only way to test would be with a known good one. If not, it's the MB.
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:43:59 AM

Proximon said:
Get a PC speaker so that you can hear any beep codes. Sometimes local repair shops carry them. Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSUs can fail in many ways, and the presence of power does not mean the power is correct to power a system. Just to be clear.

Rapid degradation ending with no post, with initial BSODs... I'm guessing CPU. The only way to test would be with a known good one. If not, it's the MB.

Agreed, a PC speaker would be a great help, and may pinpoint the issue.

How have you tested the power supply? If you have an old desktop computer, try getting it to power that up, and checking voltages to ensure they are near spec, would absolve the PSU of being completely faulty. I assume you tried booting on intel graphics, with no luck. If you haven't, you should.

Also agree with the CPU/Mobo. Try unplugging all unnecessary hardware (hdds, dvd drives, video card) until things start working properly.
Is there anything during the build that didn't go well, such as trouble inserting the cpu or flexing the mobo trying to insert ram? (Simply to help narrow possibilities)
m
l
November 27, 2012 5:21:43 AM

Finally managed to install the speaker, sorry for the delay.

I get 5 short beeps and one long beep, a short pause, short beep, another short pause, and one last short beep.

For the power supply, I just bought a tester from Frys, and as far as I can tell it was working perfectly.

As far as I can tell, the five short beeps indicates a CPU failure but I'm not certain, and would like someone with more knowledge to confirm. Cannot figure out the rest :/ 
m
l
November 27, 2012 9:33:20 AM

Take the memory out and see if the beeps change. 5 short and one long is also a RAM error.

I see they have totally replaced the BIOS with the newest one. You may want to upgrade that if you get the board working.

m
l
November 27, 2012 5:44:08 PM

I took out one stick of RAM and it wouldn't boot - the PSU fan spun but nothing else did. So I replaced the one remaining with the one taken out, and now it posts, but doesn't properly load windows. It posts a black screen with b4 on the bottom right, then after a couple minutes just a flashing cursor in the top left. If I let it go long enough it gets to the "loading windows" screen, but nothing happens there.
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:25:50 PM

Probably the OS is corrupted now.

When you sent off the MB for RMA did you get a new one back, or the same board?

It really seems like we haven't made any progress here. The beep codes do help to rule out the PSU, but this could be the MB or the CPU. Remember, the CPU controls the memory and a faulty controller could result in damaged RAM.

On the other hand, the MB has to supply correct voltage to both of those items and has to tell the CPU how to control the DRAM correctly....

So here is what I would do at this point, if I were working on this myself.

1. Replace the CPU with a known good one. If you need to buy one then get something cheap that can go into a later build for someone else. If this seemed to resolve the boot issues, then
2. Make sure you have consistent stable POSTs by removing the HDD and just rebooting. Maybe boot into a Linux CD once also. Then
3. Run memtest from a CD or flash drive overnight, then if stable
4. Update the BIOS to the newest version, being careful to do it right.

You have to start replacing parts to discover what is bad, and these days it's very hard to tell between the MB and CPU without just swapping them out. Be sure to closely inspect the CPU socket for bent pints though.

m
l
!