Upgrading Power Supply So I Can Upgrade Graphics Card

xGary

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
So I don't know anything about building/upgrading computers ( but I am in Computer Engineering so I am not technologically impaired) so I am looking for some advice. Here is the deal:

My Current System:
- Bought for $500 from Futureshop 7 months ago.
- 4 GB Ram
- i3-2120 3.30GHz
- On Board Intel HD Graphics
- 300W power supply
- 2 Free PCI-e slots

The next computer that I get, I plan on building myself. However, I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. Not until at least summer break in 6-7 months. However, I want to do some gaming right now so I am thinking about getting a dedicated graphics card that I will continue using when I build my computer later. However, the graphics cards that I am looking for ($130 range) usually require 400W+ power supply. So basically, what I think I am supposed to do right now is get a newer, stronger power supply (that I will also continue using for my comp that I will build later) so that I can upgrade my graphics card. Right?

Questions:
1) Is there anything here in terms of hardware imbalance? Graphics Card VS Processor VS Ram etc.
2) Will there be any complications later when I build my computer if I buy the graphics card and power supply now instead of waiting till I am building my computer and can make sure all the parts fit together?
3) How likely is it that a graphics card or power supply wont physically fit in my current system? I don't have any pictures of the internals since I need to get a screwdriver to open the case.

You don't have to answer all my questions at once or any of them at all. Feel free to add any advice you want.

Thanks.

The $130 range leans towards cards that required an additional power connector, so I would aim for at least a quality 500W since you have future expansion planned. I'm an Antec fan myself but there are other good brands as well (OCZ, Seasonic, Rosewill).