Sign in with
Your question

PC Freezes when Playing games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2012 3:11:18 AM

Hello. I have a situation where my computer freezes during playing a game.
i did a few things to see if there is anything wrong with my components. and what i did is:
I ran CPU tests and the temps come up around 40C(100F) and i have reapplied the Thermal Paste.
I have changed out the ram that I had a spare of and tested and the computer would still freeze.
I have sent out my graphic card and they didn't find any problems with it. just in-case they replaced it and the PC still freezes.
It started happening when i upgraded from the Radeon HD 5770 to the Radeon HD 7850.
I'm running only the 7850 WITHOUT the 5770.

What i think is the problem is ether the Power Supply or my motherboard/CPU is out of date but my graphic card is PCI Express Backwards compatible and i built my pc in 2009.

My PC spec is:

Intel I7 860 LGA 1156
P7P55D-E Pro
8GB DDR3 Corsair Ram
XFX Radeon HD 7850
1TB HDD
320GB HDD
240GB SSD
PSU Corsair TX650W

Additional Components:
Corsair H80 Cooling With 2 120mm Fans
2 LED 120mm Fans
I had the H80 for only a year now. and i don't think its the problem.
I have used the online PSU Wattage Calculator and it has recommended a bigger power supply.
The cursor sometimes gets stuck for a sec and then moves.

More about : freezes playing games

August 28, 2012 3:39:24 AM

have you tried watching your cpu/ram usage on the task manager to see if its possibly a program doing it?

do you still have the 5770? if so give that a try. i hate to be pessimistic but it is possible they just said they replaced the card and really just repackaged it.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:19:16 AM

What PSU calculator were you using because 650w should be plenty, especially a corsair. I just put in your computer specs in http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it says 325w recommended. I highly doubt it's your psu. I would try your old card again to see if it's working. Also try updating the bios on your mobo to the most recent, that might sound weird but I had the exact same problem and that fixed it for me, but my mobo is an ASRock not ASUS. I would also maybe try doing a clean install of windows. If it still doesn't work after all of that, then send it back in.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 5:03:54 AM

That PSU should be completely fine with that setup. Try your old GPU in there and see if the games freeze.

40C is normal for a CPU. My 2500K runs at 40C idle on a H60 waterblock.
m
l
August 28, 2012 6:14:23 AM

I can't see any obvious hardware issues.

Questions:
1) Do ALL games freeze or just one or two?
2) Is this a complete freeze-up or more of a stutter?
3) Can you replicate the program easily using something like 3DMark2001se for troubleshooting purposes?

*QUICK FIXES:
1) motherboard BIOS update
2) SSD firmware update
3) use Hard drive instead of SSD
4) driver/software issue

Reinstall Windows (last resort):
*If you know how to IMAGE your existing Windows, or have a SPARE DRIVE, or can COPY data from a drive do that rather than wiping your existing Windows.
**Do NOT Activate the new copy of Windows used just for testing.

1) Reinstall Windows to the SSD (once imaged) and apply these drivers:
- main motherboard chipset driver
- audio driver
- video driver (www.amd.com)
- ethernet drive

2) update Windows (takes a while and several reboots.)

3) Finally, install 3DMark2001se or a game that you know causes a freeze.

SUMMARY:
- hardware issue seems unlikely
- try the quick fix solutions first
- try to reinstall Windows as a last resort
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:21:36 AM

I reinstalled windows, took out the ssd, updated BIOS updated graphic card and the pc still freezes.
My mobo has the Intel® P55 Express Chipset Underneath the graphic card. it seems to be somewhat heating up alot. iv touched it and almost its almost close to burning my finger. could that be maybe the issue?
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:31:23 AM

I also took the Side panel off and the pc didn't freeze once. or at least for a while.
i put it on and it freezes more often then it should. and when i hard restart. it freezes after like 5 minutes.
m
l
September 19, 2012 4:34:13 AM

janek527 said:
Hello. I have a situation where my computer freezes during playing a game.
i did a few things to see if there is anything wrong with my components. and what i did is:
I ran CPU tests and the temps come up around 40C(100F) and i have reapplied the Thermal Paste.
I have changed out the ram that I had a spare of and tested and the computer would still freeze.
I have sent out my graphic card and they didn't find any problems with it. just in-case they replaced it and the PC still freezes.
It started happening when i upgraded from the Radeon HD 5770 to the Radeon HD 7850.
I'm running only the 7850 WITHOUT the 5770.

What i think is the problem is ether the Power Supply or my motherboard/CPU is out of date but my graphic card is PCI Express Backwards compatible and i built my pc in 2009.

My PC spec is:

Intel I7 860 LGA 1156
P7P55D-E Pro
8GB DDR3 Corsair Ram
XFX Radeon HD 7850
1TB HDD
320GB HDD
240GB SSD
PSU Corsair TX650W

Additional Components:
Corsair H80 Cooling With 2 120mm Fans
2 LED 120mm Fans
I had the H80 for only a year now. and i don't think its the problem.
I have used the online PSU Wattage Calculator and it has recommended a bigger power supply.
The cursor sometimes gets stuck for a sec and then moves.

I would replace the motherboard, preferably intel or gigabyte
you are describing a typical asus motherboard failure.

Then I would do this:
Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF.

Now open the device manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:49:46 AM

Nvm those. any suggestions on a god mobo that has 6gb/s Sata?
Cant seem to find anything.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:32:15 AM

You will have very little difficulty w/ gigabyte.
Much better made, much less failures.
You will plug it in, and boo-ya!
m
l
!