Age old question

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I'm looking for top of the line sound card (commercially available). Money isn't a big consideration. I was looking at turtlebeach santa cruz, but it turns out that it actually doesn't output 5.1, but does some gimmic to achieve that. I'm looking at

Audigy (without live drive)
Philips Acustic Edge

Don't want Hercules gametheaterxp because of the bulky external box. I'm goinna purchase top of the line speakers after a little while. Right now I have alteclansing 4+sub set up. I'm not pirtucularly a fan of creative, but if it gives me the best sound quality, then i'll have no choice but to opt for it. Your input is much appretiated.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz does output 5.1 sound for DVDs! However it does not output true 5.1 sound for games. As far as I know, no mainstream sound card currently does that.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
hmmmm, so i'd get about the same quality, from all three sound cards Audigy, Santa Cruz, and Acoustic Edge then huh!. Hmmm. I'm back where I started. I think i'll look around this form for a while and search for the best sound card recommened. It sure sounds like A.E got high praise from some people.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have yet to be shown that there is noticeable sound quality difference in different sound cards. 1¢

What OS are you using? That will make a difference in drivers. My experience with Philips and Creative is that their drivers suck. I don't have any experience with Turtle Beach. 2¢

The Hercules external box is awesome. I'm not sure why you're worried about it's bulkiness (although it is, a bit), but I love it.
There you go, there's my 3¢ :)

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I'm using winxp,but i'll go to win98se if I were to get betters compatability.
As for the hercules xp, i don't really like the box because if I were to take the comp to a Lan party, it's just another piece of hardware i'd have to take care of. That's why i'm not opting for platinum (eventhough it's internal drive).

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
well, then, if all the cards are similar in performance, then I think I'll just go for TB santa cruz then. Thanx guyz.