D70 supports Write Acceleration (WA) on Compact Flash?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 22, 2004 8:51:45 AM

The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

For some reason I have not been able to get to the
Nikon USA www.nikonusa.com website through my ISP
for several days now. Some sort of DNS issue, so I can't
check there.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:15:44 AM

Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
> does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
> how up to date it is.

Look at this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
am not usually a madman.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <10si48gp6biu25f@corp.supernews.com>, jeremy@exit109.com says...
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
> > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
> > how up to date it is.
>
> Look at this page:
>
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.

> Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
> last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
> are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
> all, and basically never notice it.

That is also good news.
December 22, 2004 1:58:51 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
> all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
> am not usually a madman.

Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it". You
might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp engine in
a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).

December 22, 2004 7:09:37 PM

> Jeremy Nixon wrote:
>
>> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
>> all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
>> am not usually a madman.
>
> Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it".
> You might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp
> engine in a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).

Oh, certainly. If all else were equal, I'd be using one. But unfortunately,
all else (namely, the price) is not equal. :)

But, as someone who likes having a stupid-fast car, I know what you mean.
When it comes time to pull out into fast-moving traffic, it really saves
the day.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:18:11 GMT, Randy Howard
<randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

>In article <10si48gp6biu25f@corp.supernews.com>, jeremy@exit109.com says...
>> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>>
>> > The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
>> > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
>> > how up to date it is.
>>
>> Look at this page:
>>
>> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...
>
>Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
>the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.
>
>> Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
>> last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
>> are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
>> a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
>> all, and basically never notice it.
>
>That is also good news.

According to Nikon, the D70 doesn't support "Write Acceleration".

It _will_ benefit from faster cards in general, but not specifically from
WA technology.

Source: Nikon European Support Centre:

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_...

Regards,
December 23, 2004 10:16:50 PM

In article <b5hls0hnig0mgla2dhdug44uk5kjtfrkss@4ax.com>, look@bottom.of.post
says...
> According to Nikon, the D70 doesn't support "Write Acceleration".
>
> It _will_ benefit from faster cards in general, but not specifically from
> WA technology.

The other link that showed test results seemed to show some benefit, although
perhaps not technically because of "WA" specifically. I'm not clear on exactly
what "WA" does "under the covers", or how cameras must change their interface
to take advantage of it.

> http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_...

Interesting, thanks for the link.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 9:21:15 AM

"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message

> The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
> does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
> how up to date it is.

Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
Lexar garbage and get a real card.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 7:07:17 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o q-dnfTvfrrD6lDcRVn-hA@wavecable.com...

> Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that
the
> Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme
compact
> flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return
that
> Lexar garbage and get a real card.

Have you got a link for CF comparisons with the D70?
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 9:08:13 PM

In article <oq-dnfTvfrrD6lDcRVn-hA@wavecable.com>,
christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...

> "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
> >

> > The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
> > does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
> > how up to date it is.
>
> Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
> Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
> flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
> Lexar garbage and get a real card.

What a bunch of BS. This link comparing the various cards on the
D70: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...

Shows that the Sandisk cards are approximately 0.1 MB/s faster than
the lexar w/512MB. With the 1GB cards, the Lexar is actually about
the same amount faster than either the Extreme or Ultra II.

With 2GB, the size I purchased, the difference between the Lexar
and the Sandisk Extreme is 0.005 MB/s, with the Lexar about 0.021
MB/s faster than the Ultra II.

Seems pretty much identical from here, plus the Lexar has a lifetime
replacement warranty.

If you are going to lie, you should choose to do it about something
without empirical evidence to contradict you.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"For some reason most people seem to be born without the part

> In article <oq-dnfTvfrrD6lDcRVn-hA@wavecable.com>,
> christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com says...
>
> If you are going to lie, you should choose to do it about something
> without empirical evidence to contradict you.

<sniff> I draw a fine distinction between lying and gross exaggeration.
Please don't beat me any more. I can't handle it.
!