Sign in with
Your question

Need help for my first gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 2:41:28 PM

Hey everyone!

This is my first intel based gaming pc build and need a little advise about the components i have chosen.
I will be buying the pc next month.My budget is Rs.1,50,000 INR or approx. $3200.
This build will be used heavily for gaming,watching movies and occasionally for Photoshop.I will not be needing a monitor as I will connect it with my 52inch Sony Bravia.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Parts Preferences: No preferences

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

My initial configuration is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k / Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-v pro
GPU: nVidia GTX 680 sli / GTX 690
Primary HDD: Corsair force 120GB SSD
Secondary HDD: Samsung 1TB
Power Supply : Corsair 850w
RAM: Corsair vengence(2*4GB)
Optical drive: Sony blue ray drive
Case: Corsair carbide
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow
Mouse: Razer Deathadder

Need suggestions on the above build and also need help with cooling system.The blue ray drive is for watching movies.

Thanx in advance. :) 

More about : gaming

a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 7:20:50 PM

Generally very good, and powerful. A couple of observations.

i7 has slight advantages, with Photoshop, but none for gaming. Whether it is worth the extra expense, depends on amount of photographic/video stuff, you are doing. If going with i7, though, would recommend i7-3770K, rather than a SandyBridge one.
There can be arguments, both ways, between 2x 680 in SLi, or 690. Photoshop, though, does not like SLi, so 690 would be less hassle.
Would generally prefer Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex 4, or Crucial M4, for SSD.
Samsung Spinpoint are OK for HDD. WD Caviar Black, or possibly Hitachi Deskstar also good.
Depending what cooler, you use for CPU, Corsair Vengeance RAM may not be suitable. Normally suggest Corsair CML, GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport.

To the subject of cooling. The main thing, in a hot climate, is do you have air conditioning? If so, you don't need to take "special measures", but if PC is subject to Indian climate, cooling needs careful thought, in terms of case, case fans, and method of CPU cooling.
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2012 7:37:28 PM

One other point, whilst I wouldn't suggest anyone not have a super powerful system, to max out any game under the sun, if you are doing it purely because you are gaming on a large TV, don't. A large TV does not put significantly greater demands, on graphics, than a much smaller monitor, at same resolution (and frequency). It's higher resolutions, particularly multi-monitor, that REQUIRE powerful graphics.
Related resources
October 24, 2012 1:37:17 AM

Thank you for your quick reply.As you have suggested I will go with Samsung 830 & Samsung Spinpoint.And as for RAM what will be your advice on G-Skill Ripjaws kit.
Even thouht this pc will always be inside an AC room I am confused about using liquid cooling or a good air cooling system.Please need a advice.
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 1:58:16 AM

Just get a good air cooler. The liquid cooling kits like the Corsair Hxx series are matched with high-end air coolers such as the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow.
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 2:48:47 AM

If PC itself is not in a hot environment, air cooling is fine. Providing you don't intend to overclock agressively, the Coolermaster Hyper 212Evo is fine, and good value. If you do want to be able to OC, to the max, then Noctua NH-D14 will give higher performance.
GSKill Ripjaws aren't as bad as the very high heatsinks, on some of the Corsair Vengeance RAMs. I would still prefer one of my choices, then you KNOW there won't be a problem, no matter what cooler you use.
!