Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 660 TI VS. RADEON 7950 VS. RADEON 7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:49:26 AM

I live in india, everything is more expensive so all 3 card are around the same price which one do i choose?

MSI Radeon 7870 HAWK : ($373)
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...

HIS Radeon 7950 IceQ : ($405)
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...

EVGA GTX 660 Ti : ($405)
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...

MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition - Non OC : ($405)
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...


I will be playing : FPS games, 3rd person shooter, Action adventure, Racing, stealth etc

I will be gaming @ 1920x1080 Single monitor and wont consider surround or eyefinity.

I will be doing a dual gpu setup in the future.

I may overclock but just a little.


What I Need :-

1. A quiet GPU.
2. Blue-Black color scheme.
3. Cheaper is better, but not to compromise on performance.

System Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Graphics Card - ?
RAM - 8GB (2X4GB) Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
Case - Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Edition
PSU - Corsair HX650
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.12
Monitor - Samsung S22B370
DVD Burner


I have already bought other parts only GPU is left out.
I will buy in a week or two.


Thanks in advance everyone :) 

a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 9:52:06 AM

Go for the 7950 :) 
August 28, 2012 10:15:50 AM

arzbhatia said:
Go for the 7950 :) 


I agree, that HIS 7950 looks like a nice card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:43:04 AM

Quote:
Go for the 7950


Quote:
I agree, that HIS 7950 looks like a nice card.


Any reason? why shouldn't go with the other cards or why the 7950 is better?
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 11:08:35 AM

Update : HIS Radeon 7950 IceQ Out of stock, if it doesn't come back in a day or two, its mostly out of the question :( 
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 12:26:44 PM

HIS 7950 > MSI 660 > EVGA 660
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 12:38:38 PM

envy14tpe said:
HIS 7950 > MSI 660 > EVGA 660

I read alot of reviews and it says the gtx 660 ti can not handle high levels of MSAA :(  Isnt that a disadvantage and you get an OC 7870 for $40 less than a reference 660 ti.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 1:35:09 PM

^ Sorry ! Updated the links! haha! I put 7970 by mistake!
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 1:41:52 PM

In india the sapphire dual x is rs.25000 and the vapor x is also Rs.25000 :) 
It is Rs.4000 ($70) difference, is it worth getting R7950 over 7870?

How about the GTX 660 ti's? will they perform well? ive heard that they dont do well while using higher levels of MSAA. Is this true?
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 1:45:16 PM

The 7950 is the best you can get mate! :D 

I really didn't like the 660Ti's. Don't know what's all the hype about.

Listen, if you can get the 7950, get it! You'll be more than happy!
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 2:18:38 PM

arzbhatia said:
The 7950 is the best you can get mate! :D 

I really didn't like the 660Ti's. Don't know what's all the hype about.

Listen, if you can get the 7950, get it! You'll be more than happy!

will i be able to to do 2 way crossfire with the 7950 using a Corsair HX650? ( the old hx650 not the new one)
a c 144 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 2:33:20 PM

timarp000 said:
How about the GTX 660 ti's? will they perform well? ive heard that they dont do well while using higher levels of MSAA. Is this true?


maybe this review can give you more info regarding that:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforc...
August 28, 2012 2:50:02 PM

If low power consumption, low idle power, low power usage when playing videos,
and low noise is important.
You might want to consider a pair of hd-7770's.
-Make sure they support crossfire as not all hd-7770's support crossfire.
They are small, quiet cards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_7770_Cro...

If you look at the 1920x1200 charts, which is close to 1080p, they do fairly well at that resolution.

Like any crossfire setup, it is a bit hit and miss of course. I think you could compare them with the hd-7850 and geforce 580 and former hd-6970.

If two hd-7770's are cheaper than a hd-7850, they might be a good value.

They do run nice a quiet, and the second cards shuts down when you are not gaming.

While slower, they are quieter and use less power than a hd-7950.
August 28, 2012 2:55:04 PM

The hd-7850, 7870, 7950, and 7970 all scale poorly compared with the hd-7770.

Especially if you overclock the hd-7770's.

It is best to go for a single "ghz edition" or oc edition hd-7870 or hd-7950 instead of running two of them.

If you look up some benchmarks you will see this is true, with so many shaders, clock speed becomes king and not crossfire.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 3:16:36 PM

I would suggest against two 7770 in crossfire because of micro-shuttering. For 1080p gaming, a cheaper 7870 would be ideal, but a $405 7950 is way better deal than a $375 7870, even if its MSI.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 3:19:08 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
I would suggest against two 7770 in crossfire because of micro-shuttering. For 1080p gaming, a cheaper 7870 would be ideal, but a $405 7950 is way better deal than a $375 7870, even if its MSI.

If i cant get a 7950 do i get a 7870 or a gtx 660 ti?
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 3:35:19 PM

The thing about those cards is that AMD's cards perform a lot more consistently than the GTX 660 Ti.
The 660 Ti sometimes perform better than a HD 7950 and sometimes it can perform worse than a HD 7870.It will probably get worse as time goes on.
It's not the first time it happens.When the GTX 550 Ti came out it was about 10% faster than a HD 5770.Now it's about 10% slower.
So if you can't afford a HD 7950 you should buy a HD 7870.
August 28, 2012 3:35:56 PM

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...

GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x1
Rs. 25587

900MHz

It has three fans and a factory overclock to 900mhz. it should be quieter than the HIS card with one fan. It should overclock better too.

I had good luck with gigabyte and sapphire.

HIS is a cheap brand like msi, ecs, stay away from cheap brands if you can.

The hd-7770 is not a good deal in India, it is half the cost of a hd-7950. ouch.
In Canada the hd-7770 is dirt cheap and some stores sell pairs of them at as a package deal, so i didn't know that. two hd-7770's are good for quiet gaming/htpc's, they can be good for certain builds.

The smaller cards like the hd-7770 tend not to have the microstuttering issue as much as pairing two larger cards like two hd-7950's, which is why i am trying to say just pick a decent single hd-7950 and forget about crossfire hd-7950's.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 3:42:30 PM

I email'd a local store, all 7950 deals on ebay in india are around Rs.25000 but some used to be Rs.22000.

Hopefully the dealer will send back an email with prices.

Due to this, the 7950 option is narrow :cry: 

Until then, the 7870 or the GTX 660 Ti

I'll just wait and hope for the best.
August 28, 2012 4:18:56 PM

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...
ATi Sapphire HD 5870 1GB DDR5 VIDEO CARD
Rs. 15218

They have 1600 shaders, but it is the older gpu made on 55nm so they do suck lots more power and make more noise. The blower fan is not quiet under full load.

They are still fairly fast cards. Maybe close to a hd-7850.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 4:23:01 PM

If proprietary technology isn't in your focus (like 3D Vision, physx, etc), get the HD7950 with the turbo boost bios, if you can't get it, go for GTX 660Ti.
August 28, 2012 4:28:08 PM

@ timarp000 check ur PM
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 4:30:48 PM

need4speeds said:
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewIte...
ATi Sapphire HD 5870 1GB DDR5 VIDEO CARD
Rs. 15218

They have 1600 shaders, but it is the older gpu made on 55nm so they do suck lots more power and make more noise. The blower fan is not quiet under full load.

They are still fairly fast cards. Maybe close to a hd-7850.

OLD power hungry card :(  I cant sli that in future with a 650w psu
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 5:13:38 PM

There is a $50(rs.4000) b/w the 7870 hawk and gtx 660 ti power edition OC.

Here : ( Benchmarks start at 3:55 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoevMF0bnA

The gtx 660 ti PE OC beats the 7870 HAWK. Is it worth the extra $50?


Difference in avg fps : (7870 HAWK first the gtx 660ti PE OC)
Batman Arkham City = 48 Vs 60
Alien Vs Predator = 72 Vs 85
Battlefield 3 = 57 Vs 66
Crysis 2 = 45 Vs 60
Metro 2033 = 37 Vs 37

Are they using high levels of MSAA?

If the 7870 Does better in MSAA then the gtx 660ti is out of the question as it is much more expensive

August 28, 2012 5:28:22 PM

No the 660ti (when overclocked a bit) is closer to the ghz edition hd-7870. That hd-7950 at 900mhz is as fast as a stock clocked hd-7970 and 670 in most games.

Yes it's a old power hungry card, i did mention that. 1600 shaders still does well for most games. Mostly it's cheaper.

Two hd-5870's should run on that power supply if you don't overclock them. But it's cutting it close to the max output for that power supply.

http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-hx650-80-plu...

Single +12V rail design providing up to 52A

12x52=624watts-(95watts cpu+40 watts system) = 489watts.
http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-...

Radeon HD 5870 188watts..

But i don't know why you need two hd-7950's, 7870's, 660ti's or hd-5870's.
All of those cards already have a large gpu with lots of shader cores. Games can only make use of so many shader cores and then there is a memory bandwidth bottleneck where the framerates no longer increase by adding more shader cores.
These cards all scale poorly.
Two hd-5870's is a whopping 3200 shaders, no-one really needs that except for some specialized gpgpu tasks.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 5:31:52 PM

need4speeds said:
No the 660ti (when overclocked a bit) is closer to the ghz edition hd-6870. That hd-7950 at 900mhz is as fast as a stock clocked hd-7970 and 670 in most games.

Yes it's a old power hungry card, i did mention that. 1600 shaders still does well for most games. Mostly it's cheaper.

Two hd-5870's should run on that power supply if you don't overclock them. But it's cutting it close to the max output for that power supply.

http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-hx650-80-plu...

Single +12V rail design providing up to 52A

12x52=624watts-(95watts cpu+40 watts system) = 489watts.
http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-...

Radeon HD 5870 188watts..

But i don't know why you need two hd-6950's, 6870's, 660ti's or hd-5970's.
All of those cards already have a large gpu with lots of shader cores. Games can only make use of so many shader cores and then there is a memory bandwidth bottleneck where the framerates no longer increase by adding more shader cores.
These cards all scale poorly.
Two hd-5870's is a whopping 3200 shaders, no-one really needs that except for some specialized gpgpu tasks.


6870 or 7870?
August 28, 2012 5:34:06 PM

7870 i just edited it.. sorry.

a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 5:48:05 PM

Will the 7870 be better, its also cheaper :) 

Especially when 4x or 8x MSAA is used
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:04:34 PM

timarp000 said:
I read alot of reviews and it says the gtx 660 ti can not handle high levels of MSAA :(  Isnt that a disadvantage and you get an OC 7870 for $40 less than a reference 660 ti.


Hello again Tim, I actually just bought myself a MSI 660Ti TwinFrozr and was playing Battlefield 3 this weekend, completely maxed out with an average of 70 FPS. Needless to say, the 660Ti can handle MSAA just fine. I will admit I got a few drops in 64 man Metro maps where my FPS went down to 45 or so, but that was rare.

I would say go for the MSI 660Ti if the HIS 7950 IceQ is out of the question. Also, its really easy to overclock the 660Ti. I am running mine at 1205 MHz core clock and 1250 MHz memory clock. :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:12:04 PM

dalmvern said:
Hello again Tim, I actually just bought myself a MSI 660Ti TwinFrozr and was playing Battlefield 3 this weekend, completely maxed out with an average of 70 FPS. Needless to say, the 660Ti can handle MSAA just fine. I will admit I got a few drops in 64 man Metro maps where my FPS went down to 45 or so, but that was rare.

I would say go for the MSI 660Ti if the HIS 7950 IceQ is out of the question. Also, its really easy to overclock the 660Ti. I am running mine at 1205 MHz core clock and 1250 MHz memory clock. :) 

Is it worth the extra $50?
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:17:05 PM

From the benchmarks I have seen comparing them, yes it is. The 660Ti performs closer to the 7950 than it does the 7870.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:39:41 PM

dalmvern said:
From the benchmarks I have seen comparing them, yes it is. The 660Ti performs closer to the 7950 than it does the 7870.

What settings are you playing BF3 at?
BF3 has advantage in Nvidia GPU's How does it perform in other games?
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:44:28 PM

timarp000 said:
What settings are you playing BF3 at?
BF3 has advantage in Nvidia GPU's How does it perform in other games?


Everything set to Ultra, 16x anisotropic, 4xMSAA, HBAO (ambient occlusion)...and im running two 27" monitors. One for the game and the other for music, internet, or whatever else I feel like doing while playing.
August 28, 2012 6:51:12 PM

7950 all the way
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 6:52:23 PM

I havent had a chance to test it out in Skyrim yet, I got bored with that game after a while :/  so aside from Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft (everything maxed out), and Mass Effect 3 (which is not taxing on the GPU) I am not sure how well it handles other games.

Oh an another note since we were talking about this in your first thread...the max temperature I saw on the card was 63 C with an ambient temperature of around 23.8-24 C, and I really couldnt hear the card, so it is quieter than my CPU cooler (CoolerMaster N520).
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 5:39:16 AM

dalmvern said:
I havent had a chance to test it out in Skyrim yet, I got bored with that game after a while :/  so aside from Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft (everything maxed out), and Mass Effect 3 (which is not taxing on the GPU) I am not sure how well it handles other games.

Oh an another note since we were talking about this in your first thread...the max temperature I saw on the card was 63 C with an ambient temperature of around 23.8-24 C, and I really couldnt hear the card, so it is quieter than my CPU cooler (CoolerMaster N520).

Will a non-oc'ed MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition Beat the Radeon 7870 HAWK which is overclocked by a 100MHz?
August 29, 2012 10:18:57 AM

I will hold out on running to kepler mania.....AMD waited on Nvidia revealling their hand now they know the benchmark and already the HD 7970 Ghz Edition has put the 680 and 670 to bed, soon the 7950 and 7870 revisions will likewise.


On pure tessellation rendering the Keplers have the slight edge, on Compute rendering, multi card scaling, idle state power draw the Radeons are better. GCN is by far the most impressive graphics core to date.
August 29, 2012 11:58:42 AM

A simple answer
Get HD 7950
If u can't find
get the 660TI
September 11, 2012 11:38:28 AM

If you want direct compute, zero core technology, eyefinity get the HD cards. If Physx and Tessellations are your thing ie: nothing but gaming performance then get the GK104. So in short if you want a purpose gaming card and nothing else get Nvidia, if you want something with more utility while still offering highest end gaming performance get AMD.
November 8, 2012 9:18:02 PM

I really like Sarinaide's post here. I will stick with Nvidia for gaming all the way.
!