Your question

Upgrading to 1GB RAM

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Internet Explorer
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
October 27, 2001 10:33:39 PM

Ok, I have an Abit KT7A right now. I don't need DDR RAM right now. I have 256MB Micron PC133 CL2 RAM now. I find it very frustrating that when I have over, say, 30 windows/apps open, I start getting swapping. What I do (ICQ, MSN, Delphi, multiple IE windows, and the casual game) is not bandwidth intensive, but it is RAM size intensive so I need lots of RAM. I'll be upgrading to Windows XP soon. Anyway, do you think it's worth it, or is 1GB too much? I need fast, smooth, multitasking.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

More about : upgrading 1gb ram

October 27, 2001 11:39:58 PM

I am using windows 2000 right now. I open a lot of app too(AOL instant messanger, MSN, Microsoft office, ie, dos pompt, Visual C++, Windows media player, winamp, and I have many background process running on my computer(Sever Applications)). My system rarely use over 400 mb of RAM. I think 512 MB will be enough but since memory is cheap now you might want to get some for future use.
October 28, 2001 12:22:00 AM

! GB is overkill. 512 MB is all you need.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
October 28, 2001 9:22:44 PM

512 will definately be quite adequate!
the only thing that makes me dip into my swapfile with 512Mb is when i start editing 300Mb wav files :) 

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?
October 28, 2001 11:10:44 PM

Woah dude, 300MB wav files? What the hell are you doing?!?

October 28, 2001 11:22:15 PM

Perhaps making MP3 CDs?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 28, 2001 11:52:23 PM

yeah, but 1 file being 300MB? That's insane!

Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 29, 2001 1:36:49 AM

Audiobooks perhaps?

By the way, 512 will be more than enough.

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>
October 29, 2001 1:46:42 AM

hmm, 300MB/approx. 9MB/m is 33.3 minutes of music? Hmm, that's one really long song.

October 29, 2001 1:48:13 AM

i was actually mastering some LP's into Audio CD's.

for those of you too young to remember, LP's are those big black plastic things that came before CD's! (look in your parents cupboards, your sure to find some)

and i did that via playing them, and recording the line in as wav.
instead of doing each song, and further risking damaging the old LP's i did each side as one wav file, then did all the noise reduction, pop and click removal then splitting into songs.

300mb = around one LP side.

and yes.. they were a great test of memory bandwidth, win2k memory usage efficiency, and HDD pagefile efficience.

October 29, 2001 2:54:54 PM

I remember lp's!!!
What software are you using? I ripped (if ripped is the right word) some to cd, but the quality was crap, and it didnt split the tracks properly.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
October 29, 2001 8:35:05 PM

well initially i tried on of those supposedly good automatic programs... but it wasnt that great given the age of the LP's.

so i did em manually using CoolEdit Pro (hacked ver of course)
1. made one big wav file for each LP side.
2. used cool edit to normalise vol.
3. did auto pop and click removal
4. manually scanned thru it to catch & nuke the 5-10% of pops that were too big/bad for autoremoval to take out.
5. do a noise reduction
6. cut into individual songs and remove silences.
7. use nero to burn wav's.

tah dah!
the end result turned out pretty good considering the quality of the source LP's.

October 29, 2001 9:37:37 PM

Add another to make 512MB, and add the line

"ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1"

at the end of the enh386 part of your system.ini file.

This will use all RAM before swapping.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
October 30, 2001 12:23:35 AM

That's only for Win9x right? I did do that when I'm booting to Windows Me and after 30 min I'm swapping again with my 256MB.

October 30, 2001 2:24:12 AM

When you first boot up, how much free system resourses have you?

I'm running 192MB right now, I've been online, offline, spreadsheets, games and now I'm online again. My system resourses are at 77%. On a start up, they're usually 88-95%.

Perhaps you can lose a few TSRs or system programs running in the background.

October 30, 2001 5:58:53 AM

*looks*

512MB with win2k, sp2.
report from task manager:
total: 523760k
available: 300076
system cache(used):195588
pagefile size: 768000
and thats with cure for cancer running, motherboard monitor, multiple internet explorers, yahoo, AIM, ICQ, & kazza running.

so with all those things running im at 35% capacity approx.

when i boot fresh windows and the system tray tasks occupy approx 100 to 110Mb.
win2k is a hungry beast

October 30, 2001 11:13:57 AM

I don't like the way it allocates three quarters of a GB of swapfile, but still has 300MB of memory available.

I'm not as capable with W2K as I am with W98, so hang fire & I'll be back after some reading.

October 30, 2001 11:17:15 AM

I have 85% resources free at startup and about 50MB used and almost no startup apps. But when I open around 30 windows, Delphi, ICQ, MSN, Outlook Express, Easy CD Creator, the ATI TV player all at the same time, my system starts swapping like crazy. Same goes with Windows 2000, that's why I need more RAM.

October 30, 2001 10:09:33 PM

noo...
i possibly didnt make that clear...
that 768Mb is total assigned swap file size, which is what i want... and at the moment im using NONE of it (or next to nothing)
so according to win2k

i have 512 real megs, an extra 768 swap megs giving 1280megs usable total, of which im using approx 200meg all up.

October 31, 2001 1:54:35 AM

Phew!

I was running out of ideas. I thought there was a major problem there.

hehe

October 31, 2001 2:31:52 AM

lol no.
i set min and max swapfile to be the same 1.5 times the size of ram.

i had to set them the same size as ive got an older game that gets shirty under win2k if they are too different. wierd but true.

P.S. even when mucking with my 300mb wav's i never maxxed out my swapfile.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 31, 2001 6:34:18 PM

Why normalize a sound that's already compressed?
October 31, 2001 7:25:49 PM

huh?
the imput comes from LP. volume varies. thus i normalise it to something like 90% of max volume. so all songs are the same vol.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 31, 2001 8:08:25 PM

I'm referring to compression, the audio term. Making volume levels even is the job of the mastering engineer... If you're transferring whole LPs at a time, normalization isn't something you have to do. It's a different story if you're making a mix.

I mean, it's no biggie. Music is all about what you like hearing. But you aren't making the volume levels even, you're just taking the dynamics out.
October 31, 2001 9:19:10 PM

well i didnt normalise on a song by song basis...
it was done per lp side, so the volume was increased by a proportion that depended on the loudest track or peak in the entire file.

it didnt kill any dynamics, just made a few of the more quiet LP's louder.

!