Cable for downloads, wi-fi for browsing.

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Good evening everyone. I'm at the college at the moment, and i'm in a little first-world problem here.

I have a pretty fast Ethernet cable connection, but i have a daily limit of 10Gb bandwidth. Whenever I go over that, I get thrown in a lower class connection with petty 10-40 kilobytes / second, that lasts for a whole week.

This is the third time i've accidently gone over the limit in 1 month, and frankly, i'm a bit tired of this.
The college campus also has a Wi-fi connection that suits any browsing needs, which is enough for the occasional facebook, and whatnot.

Now, here's what i want to know.
Is it possible to assign the cable to a single program (uTorrent namely, please don't flame me for this, only movies) and use wi-fi for everything else while the cable is plugged in my laptop? Because whenever I insert the cable, the Wi-fi is overridden.

Is it possible? Thanks.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
never done this before and it maybe to complicated to do if your not familiar with virtual pcs and networking. but I think it will work if setup correctly.

Setup a Virtual PC with virtual box set it to use your Ethernet card in bridge mode, then on you physical computer set your Ethernet card to an IP address that it out of the range of the collage's IPs, this will disable internet access on your host computers Ethernet card so it is forced to use the WiFi. Now you just need to install uTorrent on your virtual PC and it is good to go.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Wow that sound a bit crazy now that I am rereading it. :)

You may have a problem getting the downloaded data out of the virtual PC because of the disabled NIC, You may need to add secondary nic to the virtual PC attached to host only, to get you comptuer to talk to the virtual pc.

you will have to play around with it a bit to see if you can get it working.

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Oh well, that's a bit too much for me. guess i'll have to live without it. Was hoping for some easy software or something like that, but i guess this kind of problem isn't that common, so no easy way out.

guess ill just have to plug and replug the cable every time

allennnn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
In uTorrent preferences there is a 'Transfer Cap' set it to 9GB a day download, most isps only count download and have a separate cap for uploads.