Asus P6T Deluxe V2 memory concern

zarzer

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I currently have 4x2gb kingston ram, yet i'd very much like to upgrade to atleast 12. I've read the memory section of the manual, and i have a small corcern.

It sais "You may install 1gb and 2 gb unbuffered and non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets.

Q1: What is non-ECC?

Q2: Would i be able to use 2x6gb ram or would i have to resort to 6x2gb?

Thank you

cl-scott

Honorable
All RAM is non-ECC unless it's specifically marked as ECC RAM. ECC is basically just an error checking bit in the RAM that is really not overly useful for the average person, so you tend to only see it on workstations and servers.

As for your second question, the only officially supported config would be 6x2GB, however, sometimes boards will work with higher density modules. You can try other configurations, but you won't be able to take advantage of Asus support as long as you have an unsupported configuration.

Right from Asus's website:
Memory 6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)*/1800(O.C.)*/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Triple channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
*Hyper DIMM (DDR3 1800MHz or above) support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
**Refer to www.asus.com. Or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendor Lists.)

zarzer

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I did check their website but i got a bit worried when i read 1/2/non-ECC ram ^^ But i guess it's all good^^ Cheers