Power supply help needed.

Guitarinpool

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I'm putting together my first build.

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel i3 3240

GTX 650

(Using an older HDD until i buy a new one) Seagate Barracuda 7200.8

Still looking for some good ram, but not sure how that has to do with the power supply.

I'm trying to build this on a somewhat tight budget.

What would be a good PSU for this build?

(Might be upgrading the CPU further down the road FYI)

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

What is your power supply budget range?

The Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze (SS-430GB), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 graphics card.

SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply for $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074

Hi - being on a tight budget - you might want to consider this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

it's a Corsair budget level PSU, but nets to $20 after promo disc & mir

the Seasonic is a better quality unit, but it'll run you $70 with the shipping.