SN78SH7 Shuttle & HD6670 300W PSU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2012 9:25:43 AM

Hi, i'm building a mid range computer .. i started to build it had a little more money then i do now, but the computer is simple small compact and packs a mean punch when it comes to processing power, my question is this can i run the HD 6670 at load for gaming purposes on a 300W PSU my basic specs are as follows i can't run a dxdiag right now i have the power supply in a box at the moment:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Edition
300W PSU
Dimension: 190(W)X82(H)X43(D) mm(Max)
Input: 100-240V AC
The 80 PLUSĀ® performance specification is a standard which requires power supplies in computers and servers to be 80% or greater energy-efficient. This makes an 80 PLUSĀ® certified power supply at least 33% more efficient than current power supplies.
2x2GB PATRIOT PC2-6400 PSD22G8002 (4GB Total)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz 125W

none of this is overclocked by the way .. overclocking this processor would be tremendous overkill and i don't really want to put more stress on the PSU overclocking something that is extremely fast to begin with it that makes sense, unfortunately i can only run a single slot graphics card in this computer as it's very compact and only allows for single slot graphics cards -.- alas here i am trying to find a credible single slot gaming video card that will give me decent online gaming graphics 30+ fps in games like WoW, League of Legends, Dota2, Starcraft II, etc .. finding the HD6670 single slot 1gb was a hand wrapped gift form god it will give me the frames i desire if not more and i believe should run fine with my 300W PSU, on a side note this isn't a permanent thing i'm going to upgrade to a 500w which is the max my system supports as soon as i get the money but right now i want the graphics card and the computer up and running considering there are a bunch of new games i'd like to start playing :D  if someone could get back to me on this i'd greatly appreciate it :D 

More about : sn78sh7 shuttle hd6670 300w psu

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 2:37:44 PM

gamerkid20 said:
i was also looking at the 7000 series but i forgot to mention that my motherboard only supports PCI-E 2.1 not 3.0 otherwise i would be going with the 7000 series believe me

PCI-E specifications are all backwards compatible. It will down spec to 2.1 when you use it in your system.

You can stick a brand spanking new 7000 series in a PCI-E 1.0 and it will work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 2:39:09 PM

Also, why the H7 chassis ? Why not get one of the Shuttles with a m-itx compatible chassis ? It will make sure that when the Shuttle mobo dies, you can put in a nice regular m-itx and reuse most of your stuff.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 2:57:17 PM

Maxx_Power said:
PCI-E specifications are all backwards compatible. It will down spec to 2.1 when you use it in your system.

You can stick a brand spanking new 7000 series in a PCI-E 1.0 and it will work.

Not always ; http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-cont... , though the 7750 because of the low power need might just do.
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:39:04 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Also, why the H7 chassis ? Why not get one of the Shuttles with a m-itx compatible chassis ? It will make sure that when the Shuttle mobo dies, you can put in a nice regular m-itx and reuse most of your stuff.

i wasn't as up on my computer knowledge when i bought it i was like 16 and just getting into gaming seriously
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 6:02:10 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Not always ; http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-cont... , though the 7750 because of the low power need might just do.

Yes, actually. The very ancient 1.1 and 1.0 were in the inception times of PCI-E, and there were power problems due to the way power is routed per lane and how the card is allowed to consume only 25w on bootup. And there was an issue with certain Nvidia cards on PCI-E 2.1 that I seem to recall from memory... And then this new link you posted (new to me).

So you are right, while most of time time it is compatible, there are occasional issues.

Thanks for pointing that out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 6:02:27 PM

gamerkid20 said:
i wasn't as up on my computer knowledge when i bought it i was like 16 and just getting into gaming seriously

No biggie. I was curious.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 7:26:06 PM

"And there was an issue with certain Nvidia cards on PCI-E 2.1 that I seem to recall from memory... "

Nah, you must be wrong, not Nvidia. :D  :heink: 
m
l
!