Asus Power Supply Surge

bambam5825

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue. I recently built my own PC and i'll list the specs at the end. Every time I play some type of game (Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2) it always shuts off between 5 minutes and about 1 hour of playing and restarts with a message saying "power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply". What I don't get is that my power supply is as new as everything else. Here's the specs to my computer:

Intel core Ivy Bridge i5-3570k processor
Asus P8z77-V Pro Motherboard (Stock cooling)
8gb G.Skill Sniper series ram
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W power supply
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB GPU
Rosewill Blackhawk case

I have done stress tests on the processor and it isn't the problem. I don't have another power supply lying around that I could use to try and test if this psu is faulty. I really don't feel like spending another $100 on a power supply but I;m not sure if turning anti-surge off in the BIOS is the best thing to do either. Can someone help me? :D

P.S. Everything is updated with current drivers as well as the bios for the mb.

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I was having this problem the minute I booted up my PC after buying it. First time it worked perfectly, installed some programs and games, tried a game and it started happening from there. I diagnosed for hours but the solution was bright as day, the PSU unit I had was in fact, defected. I got it replaced under warranty of course but it was weird that Seasonic didn't stress test all their units before shipping them.
Obviously you seem to have the same problem given that Rosewill is a generic crap company that's not gamer oriented. Send back the PSU and get it replaced, preferably get a different brand too, like Corsair.