Sign in with
Your question

WHich AMD CPU / MB

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 7:31:17 PM

I am consideirng updating my machine this fall /winter (I'll buy the parts in the after thanksgiving type sales).

My main questions are as follows:

1 - Is upgrading to one of the FX6300 or FX83XX chips a good enough upgrade over my Phenom 2 X3 740 BE chip?
2 - What MBs does anyone suggest (I have an ASUS board now so I plan to go with ASUS again)?

Here are the standard answers since someone won't read without them

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Late November

Budget Range: $250 to $325
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Strategy games / RPG / General use

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU / MB (I'll figure out the RAM and SSD later)

Do you need to buy OS: No (already bought it)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: : newegg.com,
Parts Preferences: AMD
Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 by 1080

I was thinking of going with an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0? Does anyone have any opinions on if this is a good board or if there is something I would be better off getting (also what would I get for going to the next tier up in cost).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My primary use is gaming and I particularly like strategy games like Civ 5 / Sins of a Solar Empire / Total War series / Crusader kings Etc… I know these types of games tend to use more cores better then your average FPS (I know for sure CIV 5 in late game greatly benefits from more cores on the large maps as my triple core is a bit painful). I also like RPG games as well (Skyrim, Fallout / Torchligt 2 etc..).

I will be re-using my 256 bit 1GB GTX 460 for awhile (1920 by 1080). When I get my next GPU it will probably be something like an AMD 8850 or 8870 (when it comes out next year). I would like to leave open the chance to cross-fire or SLI, but I will do which ever my next MB supports and I don't need to support both and let's assume I won't SLI my GTX 460.

I would prefer to go with one of the new AMD chips. I am thinking of the FX 6300 as it is pretty cheap (comapred to 83XX). I am currently running an OC'd Phenom 2 tri-core chip at 3.7Ghz.

I will be upgrading from 6GB of DDR2 RAM to probably 2x8 (16GB) of DDR3 at 1866 (as I think I can get some CL9 1866 for just a few $s more then CL9 1600). I will also be getting a 250GB or so SSD which will give me my most noticible improvement over my 7 year old HDD. I would like to be able to put all applications on the SSD.

Although I know Intel has better high end chips I don't really want to spend $200+ on my CPU and I like to be able to overclock. So I would prefer any responses in this thread give me feedback on my main questions at the top but sticking with AMD procs.

Thanks in advance

More about : amd cpu

October 23, 2012 7:55:36 PM

Go with an i5-3570, or i5-3570k. It destroys bulldozers in anything and everything.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 8:03:38 PM

lchrisk said:
Go with an i5-3570, or i5-3570k. It destroys bulldozers in anything and everything.

It definetly destroys it in cost as well as potentially making people not read the part where I say I want to go with AMD (also I am looking at Piledriver which looks pretty competitive based on Tom's latest writeup although it is worse on the games that were chosen)
m
l
!