Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BitFenix HTPC/Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 10:21:43 PM

I'm starting to plan a build around the BitFenix Prodigy M-ITX case. I'd like to put something together that will run games smoothly at high graphics and also be able to act as a media PC for our living room TV. I've pretty much picked out everything I would want but now I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on different components or any downgrades that would keep this build cheaper but still give me good performance for a while.

Here's my list so far:

Case: BitFenix Prodigy M-ITX case, Arctic White
CPU: Intel Core i3-3240(3.4 GHz)
MOBO: ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TX
HDD: WD Black, 500GB, 7200RPM, 6.0 GB/s
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB
Fan: BitFenix Spectre 230mm fan

Total price: $895.16

October 23, 2012 10:25:38 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention I have an 8GB set of GSkill Ripjaws 1600 from another computer that I was planning to use.
m
l
Anonymous
October 23, 2012 10:30:36 PM

a corsair CX 430 would be plenty for that build, a 650 is overkill.

nice build but no bluray?
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 10:35:42 PM

I was thinking about it, at first I have an old cd drive I can throw in, but I'll probably add one down the line. Right now we don't have any bluray movies so we don't have an immediate need for a bluray drive.

The graphics card I have picked out says it needs a 500w power supply but I've heard that the power requirements are usually overstated, is that true?
m
l
October 23, 2012 10:41:08 PM

Looks reasonable to me.

Here are some thoughts:

A 7850 needs only a 400w psu with a single 6 pin power lead.
The Corsair 650tx meets that spec.
A stronger than needed psu is good because it will run in the more efficient middle third of it's range and be quieter.
But, I might consider one of the PC P&C silencer offerings.
They are modular, which is good in a small case.
The 400w unit will do, but for not much more, I would pick the 500w unit for more quiet.
And... they are white which matches your case:) 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In a similar vein, for quietness, consider a tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan. Something like a cm hyper212.

If your HTPC will be storing video's, then you need a large hard drive. 1-2tb. 500gb is probably short sighted.

On the other hand, for quietness and speed, nothing beats a SSD. 120gb will hold the os and a handful of games.
180 or 240gb and you may never need a hard drive at all. If you ever need one, it is easy to add one later.
Samsung and Intel woule be my preferred brands for reliability.
m
l
October 23, 2012 10:47:56 PM

The PSU looks cool but the only problem is the case I picked out has a very short PSU bracket. It will accept a 6.3" PSU maximum, so it needs to be shorter than that to accommodate for the cables.

I have a couple external HDDs lying around too so storage isn't that big of an issue.

And the 230mm fan I mentioned is just the case fan, do I really need an aftermarket CPU cooler if I'm not going to overclock?
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:05:39 PM

Brylord said:
The PSU looks cool but the only problem is the case I picked out has a very short PSU bracket. It will accept a 6.3" PSU maximum, so it needs to be shorter than that to accommodate for the cables.

I have a couple external HDDs lying around too so storage isn't that big of an issue.

And the 230mm fan I mentioned is just the case fan, do I really need an aftermarket CPU cooler if I'm not going to overclock?

The PC P&C psu's are a standsrd size, 160mm(6.3") long, the same as the corsair 650HX.
I have not built with that case before, so you might check out some reviews if you think psu length will be an issue.
Regardless, a modular psu will nelp with a reduction in the number of cables that need to be managed.

About the smalles(depth) you can get with a standard psu is 140mm or 5.5"
Here is a Seasonic 450w unit that would meet that spec:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:10:35 PM

Yea I already read a lot of reviews about it and a lot of people have trouble fitting a standard size PSU into it, especially if its modular.

I actually found a corsair builder series 600w PSU on newegg that is the right dimensions for 69.99. Would it be worth the $10 for the better efficiency than a 450w?
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
October 23, 2012 11:26:35 PM

Brylord said:
Yea I already read a lot of reviews about it and a lot of people have trouble fitting a standard size PSU into it, especially if its modular.

I actually found a corsair builder series 600w PSU on newegg that is the right dimensions for 69.99. Would it be worth the $10 for the better efficiency than a 450w?

let me throw out some numbers here with a minute i have before i have to leave for a late appointment.

PSUs take a nose dive in efficiency under 20% load. say the "peak" efficiency of a PSU is 81% @30% load, 83% @ 50% load, and 81% @ 80% load but 76% under 20% load. now say a system uses 320 watts @ max load and idles @ 100 watts.

now some folks will think to get a 650 watt PSU for best efficiency since the load is 320 watts (50%). but they fail to understand most of the the system idles far more than under 100% load. so out of a 24 hour day it idles for 16 hours @ 76% efficiency. that is too much for the 81% to make up for in 8 hours.

getting a 450 watt PSU will have the max load of 81%efficiency (80% of the PSU)and idle @ 81% efficiency(20% of the PSU). much better than 16 hours of 76% and 8 hours @ 82%!

now these are figures i pulled out of the air but it does, i think, make my point; getting a PSU should fit like a glove, a little extra room is fine but too big is not good.

i gotta run . . .
October 24, 2012 1:20:58 AM

Brylord said:

Interesting, I would have thought that modular would have helped.

All of the Corsair builder series are the same 5.5" long.
They are decent quality, I have used them before.
You can use the 430, 500, or 600w units.
A little overprovisioing is ok, I think the 500w would be appropriate.
m
l
October 24, 2012 6:47:41 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the corsair builder 500w. Is there any other changes anyone else would make that could get this build as close to $800 as possible? It's not a necessity but I'd be happy to get the price down a little. With the new PSU the total is about $855
m
l
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 7:26:28 AM

Brylord said:
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the corsair builder 500w. Is there any other changes anyone else would make that could get this build as close to $800 as possible? It's not a necessity but I'd be happy to get the price down a little. With the new PSU the total is about $855

ASRock B75M-ITX $89.99
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75M-ITX/?cat=Specificat...
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:35:47 AM

Thanks, that's actually a really big price drop. I did a little reading on the differences between a Z77 chipset and the B75 and it seems the only real difference is the B75 can't overclock right? Which wouldn't be a problem because I don't plan on overclocking this build anyways.
m
l
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 11:59:04 AM

it also has only 1 sata 6Gbs port. there is no difference between 6/3 with a hard drive, just an SSD.
m
l
October 24, 2012 1:50:27 PM

Brylord said:
Thanks, that's actually a really big price drop. I did a little reading on the differences between a Z77 chipset and the B75 and it seems the only real difference is the B75 can't overclock right? Which wouldn't be a problem because I don't plan on overclocking this build anyways.

As it turns out, I recently bought a Asrock B75M-ITX for use with a i3-3225.
I have only a single 6gb SSD to attach.
It is a decent motherboard, and I have had no problems with it.
The paper documentation is sparse, but enough to build with. The supplied cd has the full text.
The B75 chipset can overclock using BCLK which is limited.
Here is a link to the chipset differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

For your use, I think it will be fine.
m
l
October 24, 2012 5:37:16 PM

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful! Now I think I have a pretty good build for what I need and with the couple changes its a little under $800 :) 
m
l
October 24, 2012 5:57:08 PM

Best answer selected by Brylord.
m
l
!