Upgrades for architecture student(and gamer)

callumorr

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hey guys
i am an architecture student who also does abit of gaming. I am thinking about upgrading my current PC and laptop.
i currently am thinking of upgrading my pc to a i7 3770k cpu and p8 z77 pro motherboard. However alot of people said to check is the architecture programs required hyperthreading, as if not then the i5 would be worth going for.
any advice on if programs like Indesign, Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Auto Cad require it would be great.??
i am also looking to change my laptop and am very tempted to get an ultralportable, such as the samsung series 9 or series 7 ultra, however i dont know if these will have enough cpu grunt to cope with light work on the above programs??
any advice would be great!
thanks

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
With the architecture programs you will utilize the hyperthreading of the i7, so the 3770K has value for you. While the 3570K is a great gaming processor the lack of hyperthreading will hinder productivity in autocad and photoshop, and, I believe, in the other apps you use.

callumorr

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi sorry i didnt make that clear. For my Big pc tower rig it is to utilise the full programs and run them all alot of the time. However i would only be using my laptop as a method for taking my work to and from university, with some editing on the programs like autoCAD and PHotoshop on the move. So the laptop would only need to be able to cope with the programs in the 'light work' sense.
whereas my Full tower was the componant that i needed advice about i7 or i5.
Thanks for the help with cpu, i guess i will be shelling out for the 3770k.
any advice about the laptop side would be great as that is more important, due to my current Asus eeepc being effectively-dead.
thanks

callumorr

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Brilliant thanks. I have been looking at the Samsung series 9. i think it comes with the i5 and there may even be a model with the i7 now. do you think this laptop would be able to cope with the tasks i have said....or should i look into a more powerful laptop that may not be quite as portable/or sexy. haha.
thanks