Sign in with
Your question

PC for content creation, ~ 400 USD

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 10:58:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: ( this week-next week)

Budget Range: i would like to fit into 200-400 dollars, max i can go - 450

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most important task i want this pc be good at, is running Adobe CS3(Ps, Ai, ID). I'm not hardcore game fan but i'd like it also to run TeamFortress2 at decent looking graphics. Then comes movie watching and web surfing.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Overclocking; I doubt i will need it

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: I'm also looking at prebuilts available at shops, so if you can tell me for what combination of hardware (cpu, video) i should be looking for to fit my needs i'd be grateful.

Actually internet shop near my location sells parts and can assemble them for free. But there is also prebuilts that fit in my budget. Can you advise me on which one fits me better?

Spoiler

398 USD
Intel® Pentium® Processor G630 (3M Cache, 2.70 GHz)
Sandy Bridge
Motherboard Gigabyte H61; LGA 1155
RAM Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
HDD 500 GB
DVD-/+R/RW/-RAM
Video ATI Radeon HD6450 GDDR3 1GB PCI-E
Audio 3 Channel

Case Inter-Tech
PSU - 500W
Interface RJ-45 / USB / PS/2 / Audio in/out

Spoiler

418 USD
Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor (3 MB Cache, 3.30 GHz)

motherboard MB H61 S1155, B3 Stepping
ram Kingston HyperX 2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
hdd 500 GB
DVD-/+R/RW/-RAM
Video Intel® HD Graphics 2000

Audio +
Tīkla karte +
case Inter-Tech (Black / Silver)
PSU - 500W
Interface PS/2 / USB / D-Sub / RJ-45 / DVI-D / Audio jacks (Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

Spoiler

expensive - 460 USD
Intel® Pentium® Processor G850 (3M Cache, 2.90 GHz)
Sandy Bridge
motherboard Gigabyte H61; LGA 1155
ram Kingston HyperX 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
hdd 500 GB
DVD-/+R/RW/-RAM
Video ATI HD6670 2 GB GDDR3 PCI-E

Audio 3 Channel
Tīkla karte +
case Inter-Tech
PSU - 500W
Interface PS/2 / D-Sub / RJ-45 / 3 x audio jacks (Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

I know budget is not that big, but gaming is not priority, so maybe i can squeeze in it.
October 23, 2012 11:46:29 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/le1s Better quality case and psu and costs less. Raidmax is bottom of the barrel in quality, I would not suggest them.
Related resources
October 24, 2012 7:53:09 AM

Thanks for your response and links.
But i'm wondering why do you not inlclude videocards? Wouldn't it help boost performance?
Must say, i'm not located in US, and if i buy parts you suggested from online shop, they cost more here. I'm afraid link will be useless to you because there is no english version of this site.
October 24, 2012 9:05:40 AM

The new AMD chips are pretty impressive in productivity apps, I'd look into those.
October 24, 2012 2:52:42 PM

Oh. I get it. In your setups video is integrated into cpu. Heh... I didn't know progress stepped this far. My current pc has video integrated into motherboard and feeds from ram.

Anyways, i browsed this topic where shop listed for countries and found this one whuch works for me i think http://datori.dateks.lv/en/
Press "shop this model" and there's more choices presented
So i'm gonna ask which one of there prebuilt PCs fits my needs more?
October 24, 2012 5:18:02 PM

So you are trying to build a decent pc for 400$ in Latvia? That's impossible. Good luck:) 
October 24, 2012 5:25:08 PM

You could have said a budget in euros, no need to convert to usd.

The integrated are pretty powerful these days, enough for those adobe software. CS3 doesn't really have too many gpu accelerated features so it's mostly cpu dependent (same with cs6). Integrated still uses your ram. You can always upgrade the video card later. An i5 would be best but I believe you will want to go with the a8-5600k to spend less. I'd suggest going with at least the quality case+psu and 8 gb ram 1600. I don't trust cheapo psus, had enough die on me. The cooler master psus aren't great either, but they're ok.
October 24, 2012 10:56:41 PM

k1114 said:

The integrated are pretty powerful these days, enough for those adobe software. CS3 doesn't really have too many gpu accelerated features so it's mostly cpu dependent (same with cs6). Integrated still uses your ram. You can always upgrade the video card later. An i5 would be best but I believe you will want to go with the a8-5600k to spend less. I'd suggest going with at least the quality case+psu and 8 gb ram 1600. I don't trust cheapo psus, had enough die on me. The cooler master psus aren't great either, but they're ok.

thanks for the directions to look into

I found this cpu benchmark site and like all bechs say that A8-3870K is better than 5600K, and only few say not but even then 3870K show very close results.
But i'm not sure what benchmarks match the needs i described, maybe a few hints? site is this http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/
Are 3.6 ghz of 5600K gonna help all that much comparing to 3870K 3.0 ghz?
Also looked into i5 3570K- wow, this cpu is way ahead of those two i mentioned earlier, but costs a buck...

I'm not that educated in hardware, can you explain whats the difeerence betwenn 1600 and 1333 ram?
October 24, 2012 11:09:23 PM

The 5600k is newer technology with better graphics. It's simply better. 1600MHz is faster RAM, simple as that. The A-series processors LOVE faster RAM. You'll notice a performance increase with faster RAM on these processors.

I think cpu-world.com is unreliable. They claim to have a benchmark for the 8170 which I'm positive was never released.
October 25, 2012 1:16:16 PM

So, my set now looks like this.
Is good?
Inter-Tech JY-260, ATX, Black + 500W PSU
Asrock FM2A55M-DGS
AMD A-Series FM2, A8-5600K (4C, 3.6GHz, 4MB Cache, 100W)
Kingston 8GB, DDR3, 1600Mhz, CL9, Kit Of 2, HyperX
Western Digital 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, Sata III, Caviar Blue
Samsung SH-224BB, DVD+/-RW, 24x, SATA, Black
October 25, 2012 6:03:36 PM

k1114 said:
Most of those were synthetics. Here take a look at some adobe benchmarks. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

Go with a75 for the mobo, its only € 4,40 more and you get usb 3 and sata 3.

Thanks for advice, didn't even notice that was hurting myself with that motherboard. As i see, it supports 1866 mhz ram, maybe i should go for it????
Because i found this shop where prices a bit lower, and i think i can afford now smth like DDR3 KINGSTON HYPERX PREDATOR 8GB (2X4GB) 1866MHZ.
October 25, 2012 8:55:57 PM

If you plan on using the integrated graphics on it then go for the 1866 ram. :) 
October 26, 2012 8:29:56 AM

k1114 said:

An i5 would be best but I believe you will want to go with the a8-5600k to spend less.

I pretty much know my build now, but i also want to try make build for i5, as you mentioned it would be better, to see what's price difference gonna be. So can you tell which i5 model-s i should look into?
Thanks
October 26, 2012 4:50:15 PM

All the i5 on that site are ivy bridge, so any would be fine.
October 28, 2012 4:25:05 PM

k1114 said:

You can always upgrade the video card later.

Hey, i was just wondering, maybe i should go for a10 5600k— though it's not so far away from a8 5600k in adobe benchmarks, it's step ahead in game benchmarks and that way i'm sure i won't need to buy discrete video in future.
October 28, 2012 5:09:49 PM

That would be good too.
October 28, 2012 7:16:34 PM

i got some builds for you
Assuming that we are playing WoW in these following settings:-
1920x1080 resolution
All ultra, except shadows set to high
DirectX 11 mode, WoW 64-bit client
Multisampling 1x, Anisotropic Filtering Trilinear
Playing in a 25-man raid / crowded cities. Anywhere else? Let's just say high enough FPS
-------------------------------------------------------
** Build 0: Absolute MAXIMUM CHEAPEST Build
Warning: Take this build ONLY and ONLY IF you will upgrade the CPU down the road. If not, take the above Trinity build.

CPU: Celeron G540
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1333, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon HD 6670 (It MUST mention that it is GDDR5 in the name/VRAM)
Power Supply: Seasonic SS-350ET 350W
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB or -smaller- if you are fine with it.
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: Cheap ATX mid-tower case with at least 1 fan

Example Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hQQ4

Estimated cost: ~$375
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~30
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
** Build 1: Tight Budget Build
Warning: Take this build ONLY and ONLY IF you will upgrade the CPU down the road. If not, take the above Trinity build.

CPU: Pentium G850
Motherboard: Any B75 motherboard
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon HD 7770
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W or other similar power supplies
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB
Case: Cheap ATX mid-tower case with at least 2 fans

Example Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kfIb

Estimated cost: ~$485
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~40

EDIT: Here is the TRINITY BUILD :) 
*Special Build: Set it and Forget it! AMD Trinity Build
his build is for users who want to just build a PC then forget about it (of course, you still have to manually tweak and OC this). Just about the only upgrade you can do for it is an SSD / a Radeon graphics card for Dual Graphics option.

It has a DDR3-2133 RAM because you want to maximize APU's built-in graphics. DDR3-2133 is a perfect choice as it's not too expensive, and yet best performance given per dollar. You can drop down to DDR3-1866 if you want, and that's the slowest RAM I'd take for a Trinity build.

400W power supply is for Dual Graphics support. Pair it up with Radeon HD 6670, and you can easily beat pretty much all budget Intel systems up until $600+ mark, where it starts to include Radeon HD 7850 with an i3.

CPU: AMD A10-5800k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
Motherboard: Any A75 based motherboard, strongly recommending OC-friendly ones
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-2133, 1.5v)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W
Hard Drive: Cheap 500GB or -smaller- if you are fine with it.
Case: Cheap ATX mid-tower case, but must support tall CPU tower coolers and have at least 2 fans

Example build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lg7t

Estimated cost: ~$475
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~30
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 29, 2012 1:36:33 AM

Sadly none of those sites ship to where he lives or if they do even your "Absolute MAXIMUM CHEAPEST Build" goes over his budget. Parts cost different amounts in different countries, not to mention some models aren't available. Parts prices even in the US change daily.

Beside as the title says, this is for content creation not gaming. You certainly don't want to spend twice the money on a gpu than a cpu at this budget.
!