Sign in with
Your question

New builder having trouble with Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2012 3:48:34 PM

Hello,
So I just recently put together a computer myself.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS 760G Socket AM3+ Motherboard

CPU: AMD FX-6100 X6 3300MHZ 14MB 95W AM3+

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz 4096MB x2

PSU: 600 Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX Power Supply

Graphics: On board

So it turns on, the fans run, lights work. But, The monitor reads no signal. I know it's not the monitor because I can hook it up to this laptop and it works fine. I do not get a beep from the speaker when I turn it on. This leads me to believe it's a CPU/MOBO problem. I have the 4 pin connected where it goes. All that good stuff.
I hope someone can help me out.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2012 3:58:22 PM

I'm assuming everything has been installed Properly, like the orientation of the processor and the correct slots for the memory... as well as compatible memory for the motherboard.
Can you enter BIOS?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2012 4:00:44 PM

Diablotek :o hgodwhy:

Anyway, list all the connectors you have plugged in from the power supply to the computer somewhere.

Do you see RED led next to CPU_LED mark? If so, then it means your motherboard does not support your CPU out of the box and needs updated BIOS. If that's the case, I'd return the board and get a different one.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 4:07:51 PM

If you know someone with an extra graphics card laying around, you can test it with one of those, see if the onboard gpu is bad.

Try double checking all psu connections. Should be one that plugs into mobo near cpu, a big one that goes on the right side usually, and any others (Gpu, DVD, HDD)
Try using 1 RAM module in two slots, then try another in two slots.
CPU's rarely just go out, so unless you did something to it, I don't think it's the cpu, then again, it could be, so if you know someone or a shop where you can test it that would help.

My thoughts: Bad Mobo, had the same problem, it turned out to be a bad mobo.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:20:07 PM

try connecting an old crt to it. When I first built mine i came across the same problem. I grabbed a dell crt from the closet tried that and it worked. Disconnect it, plugged in my lcd and got nothing. I had to download some drivers before it would support my monitor. hope that helps
m
l
August 28, 2012 8:09:31 PM

Sunius said:
Diablotek :o hgodwhy:

Anyway, list all the connectors you have plugged in from the power supply to the computer somewhere.

Do you see RED led next to CPU_LED mark? If so, then it means your motherboard does not support your CPU out of the box and needs updated BIOS. If that's the case, I'd return the board and get a different one.

So first I'll list the connectors...
24 pin is hooked up into the slot on the MOBO
I have a 4 pin cable hooked up next to the CPU.
I have a a sata cable (Power) hooked into both the HDD and DVD-D along with the sata data cables plugged into sata-1(HDD) and sata-2(DVD-D) on my MOBO.
The CPU fan and back chassis fan are plugged into the MOBO, and the front chassis fan is plugged in using a molex connector.
All my fans and lights are working when I turn the system on. And the MOBO light is green when it's plugged in.
I have nothing installed (OS, BIOS or otherwise) because I can't get the monitor to work with it.
I don't think it has to do with monitor drivers only because when I plug my laptop in it works fine and dandy with no extra attention.

Thanks for the help so far by the way. I love the internet =)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2012 8:21:41 PM

have you tried clearing CMOS? - reseat the memory and disconnect all the drives, see if you get video
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2012 8:54:36 PM

SabastianJenkins said:
So first I'll list the connectors...
24 pin is hooked up into the slot on the MOBO
I have a 4 pin cable hooked up next to the CPU.
I have a a sata cable (Power) hooked into both the HDD and DVD-D along with the sata data cables plugged into sata-1(HDD) and sata-2(DVD-D) on my MOBO.
The CPU fan and back chassis fan are plugged into the MOBO, and the front chassis fan is plugged in using a molex connector.
All my fans and lights are working when I turn the system on. And the MOBO light is green when it's plugged in.
I have nothing installed (OS, BIOS or otherwise) because I can't get the monitor to work with it.
I don't think it has to do with monitor drivers only because when I plug my laptop in it works fine and dandy with no extra attention.

Thanks for the help so far by the way. I love the internet =)

Did the motherboard come with a speaker?
m
l
August 28, 2012 9:25:26 PM

SabastianJenkins said:
Hello,
So I just recently put together a computer myself.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS 760G Socket AM3+ Motherboard

CPU: AMD FX-6100 X6 3300MHZ 14MB 95W AM3+

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz 4096MB x2

PSU: 600 Diablotek DA Series 600w ATX Power Supply

Graphics: On board

So it turns on, the fans run, lights work. But, The monitor reads no signal. I know it's not the monitor because I can hook it up to this laptop and it works fine. I do not get a beep from the speaker when I turn it on. This leads me to believe it's a CPU/MOBO problem. I have the 4 pin connected where it goes. All that good stuff.
I hope someone can help me out.

There's a few things that could be wrong here. I ran into similar issues when I first started building computers and my friends did as well.

1. Can you try plugging the monitor in to a VGA slot? I've had systems that defaulted to only one plug working until I got to Windows (was really frustrating)

2. When you start up the machine (assuming you don't have an SSD) can you hear the HDD spin up or do you only hear the fans? If you don't hear the HDD then it's definitely a CPU/Mobo/RAM issue.

3. As others have stated, make sure the RAM and CPU are seated correctly.

4. Does your case have built-in spacers for the motherboard? I had a friend who's case had no built-in spacers, and he did not use the spacers that came with his case and mounted the Mobo directly to the motherboard tray. This fried his motherboard and it took forever to figure out.
m
l
August 29, 2012 4:12:16 AM

Good news my friends. I got it up and running. After checking the RAM and making sure everything was fully plugged in (I didn't realize how much force was needed for some of it) I was able to get the monitor working. I'm happy to say I'm typing this on my brand spanking new computer! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
m
l
!