Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help On My Motherboard Choice

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 11:04:27 PM

I'm having trouble deciding on my motherboard. I will be building computer for gaming only and nothing else. I will only ever need 1 Hard Drive, 1 SSD, 1 Graphics Card, and Overclock (4.5-4.8). Which will last me longer for what I plan on doing? I don't plan to upgrade for 3-4 years down the road.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H $100 @Micro Center
http://www.microcenter.com/product/387556/GA-Z77X-UD3H_...

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 $85 @Micro Center
http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_...

My Build:
CPU: i5 3570K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz Low Profile
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case: NZXT Tempest 410
GPU: Radeon 7950

More about : motherboard choice

October 23, 2012 11:32:22 PM

I forgot to say that you could probably do with a 600w psu.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 11:53:54 PM

If you have a 750w PSU, because you have thoughts of adding a 2nd GPU, I would go with the Gigabyte. If anything, it has slightly better quality, and is likely to perform better than the Extreme4, if you want to overclock agressively, and has better crossfire support than the Pro 3.
The CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is a good value cooler for modest overclocks. I very much doubt it will take you past 4.5GHz. For that you want something better, like Noctua NH-D14, or even liquid/water cooling.
m
l
October 23, 2012 11:57:00 PM

He stated that he will only run one gpu so I though it was unnecessary to get more than the pro3
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:03:53 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
He stated that he will only run one gpu so I though it was unnecessary to get more than the pro3

Sorry meant to put 2 graphics cards only.
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:08:42 AM

malbluff said:
If you have a 750w PSU, because you have thoughts of adding a 2nd GPU, I would go with the Gigabyte. If anything, it has slightly better quality, and is likely to perform better than the Extreme4, if you want to overclock agressively, and has better crossfire support than the Pro 3.
The CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is a good value cooler for modest overclocks. I very much doubt it will take you past 4.5GHz. For that you want something better, like Noctua NH-D14, or even liquid/water cooling.

So if I wanna overclock past 4.5 and run SLI/Crossfire in the future I would be better off with the Gigabyte UD3H and Noctua ND-D14?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 12:16:46 AM

Get the gigabyte - it's better off for overclocking. I've got one and love it - I hit 4.4 with less voltage than stock.
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:18:25 AM

You can probably get a pretty good oc with the evo. In all honesty, you don't need to oc at all. The 3.4 will be fine for right now. If you are gonna use 2 gpus I would go with the gigabyte probably. But any of them would work.
m
l

Best solution

October 24, 2012 12:42:07 AM

Suisiders said:
So if I wanna overclock past 4.5 and run SLI/Crossfire in the future I would be better off with the Gigabyte UD3H and Noctua ND-D14?

The Extreme 4, and the Evo are fine, for 4.3/4,4 GHz. Whilst they may well go past that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either, for that. Heat removal, from Ivybridge, starts to become an issue around 4.5 GHz, so whilst it's not impossible, with good cooling, to "go on" a bit, it's a question of whether a modest extra performance gain, is really worth the hassle. When processor has had most of its life, in a couple of years, it's not so bad to try to get a bit extra, to extend its useful life, cos then it's not quite so bad, if you kill it!.
October 24, 2012 1:12:06 AM

malbluff said:
The Extreme 4, and the Evo are fine, for 4.3/4,4 GHz. Whilst they may well go past that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either, for that. Heat removal, from Ivybridge, starts to become an issue around 4.5 GHz, so whilst it's not impossible, with good cooling, to "go on" a bit, it's a question of whether a modest extra performance gain, is really worth the hassle. When processor has had most of its life, in a couple of years, it's not so bad to try to get a bit extra, to extend its useful life, cos then it's not quite so bad, if you kill it!.

Yeah I will probably go to around 4.2-.4.3 for daily use and I think I'll go with the Gigabyte due to better quality on VRM for overclocking and customer service :D 
m
l
October 24, 2012 3:39:48 PM

Best answer selected by suisiders.
m
l
!