Need Help On My Motherboard Choice

Suisiders

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I'm having trouble deciding on my motherboard. I will be building computer for gaming only and nothing else. I will only ever need 1 Hard Drive, 1 SSD, 1 Graphics Card, and Overclock (4.5-4.8). Which will last me longer for what I plan on doing? I don't plan to upgrade for 3-4 years down the road.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H $100 @Micro Center
http://www.microcenter.com/product/387556/GA-Z77X-UD3H_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 $85 @Micro Center
http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

My Build:
CPU: i5 3570K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz Low Profile
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3
Case: NZXT Tempest 410
GPU: Radeon 7950

Solution

The Extreme 4, and the Evo are fine, for 4.3/4,4 GHz. Whilst they may well go past that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either, for that. Heat removal, from Ivybridge, starts to become an issue around 4.5 GHz, so whilst it's not impossible, with good cooling, to "go on" a bit, it's a question of whether a modest extra performance gain, is really worth the hassle. When processor has had most of its life, in a couple of years, it's not so bad to try to get a bit extra, to extend its useful life, cos then it's not quite so bad, if you kill it!.

malbluff

Honorable
If you have a 750w PSU, because you have thoughts of adding a 2nd GPU, I would go with the Gigabyte. If anything, it has slightly better quality, and is likely to perform better than the Extreme4, if you want to overclock agressively, and has better crossfire support than the Pro 3.
The CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo is a good value cooler for modest overclocks. I very much doubt it will take you past 4.5GHz. For that you want something better, like Noctua NH-D14, or even liquid/water cooling.

Suisiders

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

So if I wanna overclock past 4.5 and run SLI/Crossfire in the future I would be better off with the Gigabyte UD3H and Noctua ND-D14?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
You can probably get a pretty good oc with the evo. In all honesty, you don't need to oc at all. The 3.4 will be fine for right now. If you are gonna use 2 gpus I would go with the gigabyte probably. But any of them would work.

malbluff

Honorable

The Extreme 4, and the Evo are fine, for 4.3/4,4 GHz. Whilst they may well go past that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend either, for that. Heat removal, from Ivybridge, starts to become an issue around 4.5 GHz, so whilst it's not impossible, with good cooling, to "go on" a bit, it's a question of whether a modest extra performance gain, is really worth the hassle. When processor has had most of its life, in a couple of years, it's not so bad to try to get a bit extra, to extend its useful life, cos then it's not quite so bad, if you kill it!.

Solution

Suisiders

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah I will probably go to around 4.2-.4.3 for daily use and I think I'll go with the Gigabyte due to better quality on VRM for overclocking and customer service :D

TRENDING THREADS