Any tips on how to get rid of electronic 'hum' sound?

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
You know that sound when electronics make that kind of vibration hum/buzzing sound? It kinda comes and goes and when I place my hand my case it dulls the sound. Sometimes it'll go away if I just move my case a bit but then comes back... It's not a big deal but can be annoying...Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of this and what might be causing it? Also I hope it's not a sign of something sinister!

Thanks!

Check that all screws are tightened up, internally & externally.

You could fit sound-deadening "acoustic" pads to the inside surfaces of the case sides, but the downside of that is it reduces the thermal conductivity of the metal so interior temperatures are likely to be higher.

You could have a fan going bad, check the fans just to be sure, I have a Corsair fan that makes them sounds but corsair didn't use bearings, they used bushings on these fans anyway, so its vibrates just enough to make like a hum sound.

But my HD5850's do make a hum sound only in a few games, usually just loading screens like GTA4, but usually go away.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

yeah good point. It seems to be coming from the area where my blu-ray drive is hosted. Maybe something there is loose.

TRENDING THREADS