First time building a computer! Intel 3570k

jolthan

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hi, heard you guys were the best tech forum.. So here I am,

I want to get a new desktop, preferably one optimized for gaming/overclocking to like 4ghz or something,

I have settled on a Intel Core i5 3570k, and currently I am having trouble deciding over a few motherboards. First things first, I am hearing amazing reviews for the Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard ($135), so that would be my first choice.

Secondly, is ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 ($190) the same motherboard? Their names kinda look similar.. so I don't know, but the price greatly varies.
Could you guys give me an opinion, or another great suggestion? My budget is <$200 USD. Thanks!

Also, I am going to list my other choices for the other components, so if you guys could please advice me.

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB Dual Channel DDR3

GPU- Nvidia GTX 680/AMD HD 7979
Honestly, I can't decide between these two. Both of them are really good, but I am more of a Nvidia person. However, the HD 7970 offers 3GB dedicated video compared to the 2GB offered by Nvidia, also the AMD is cheaper i think. I play games like Starcraft 2/LoL/Crysis 3/Borderlands 2/ BF3

I need suggestions for cooling/PSU. Water or Air?

Please help me! All answers are appreciated! Thankss!

Sam :hello:

1) i suggest you to get asus p8z77 mobo 2)gtx 680 is not at all worthwile as the performance difference between 670 and 680 is 5% and big price gap.while hd 7970 is faster than 670 so you want in terms of speed get hd 7970ghz edition or vapour x or if you want features like physicx then nvidia gtx 670.3) get seasonic 520w psu or corsair cx 500w.4)Air cooling would be better.

Also since you are open on the cooling solution you are going to want to get the low profile version of the Corsair Vengeance memory over the normal as the heatspreaders on the normal Corsair Vengeance memory may block the mounting of the HSF (heatsink/fan) that you will need to overclock the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K.

logainofhades

Titan
As a user of an Azrock Z77 extreme4, I recommend it. Great board for the $$$. Seasonic or Corsair power supply bronze or better rating of at least 500w. If crossfire or SLI is in your future, bump up to at least a 750w of same brand and rating. Rosewill Capstone series isn't bad either. Graphics card, 7970ghz edition would be a great choice.