Sign in with
Your question

My first self-built PC, feedback

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2012 11:54:36 PM

Hello!
It's been ages since i've posted on here, I've just finished building a PC myself for the first time, I ran into a few bumps and problems but eventually got there.
Here's a Picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Since it is my first homebuild, im pretty nervous and just want anyone to take a look to give me any feedback, it would be much appreciated.
The case is a Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced
CPU: i7 3820
CPU Cooler: Antec 620 Kuhler
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Formula
16 GB of Ram
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 ( Reference )
700 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU

My fans- 1xIntake on front, 1x intake on side, 1xExhast on top

Please keep in mind that this PC is primarily for gaming, and i DO NOT overclock at all.

EDIT:
I forgot to add in my idle and load temps for cpu and gpu:
CPU - Idle: 20-32 / Load: 40-55
GPU - Idle: 29-39 / Load: 64-79

Thanks guys!!

More about : built feedback

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:11:29 AM

Geez.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 12:16:14 AM

Deemo13 said:
Geez.

I'd really appreciate feedback...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:50:57 AM

its nice but if its just for gaming you spent way to much. dual 660ti superclocked edition out performs a single 680 in games for about the same price

i7 is not a gaming cpu its works great but the i5 is cheaper and does just as good for games. or the phenom II x4 or fx 6100 or 4100 all cheaper than i5 and still do great in games

max ram you need for gaming is 4 but i would go to 8 just to be safe in case i want to run a server or something

the case is nice but there are better cases are more of a personal style thing though

thats my 2cents how much did the build cost you?
m
l
October 24, 2012 1:02:34 AM

chairsgotoschool said:
its nice but if its just for gaming you spent way to much. dual 660ti superclocked edition out performs a single 680 in games for about the same price

i7 is not a gaming cpu its works great but the i5 is cheaper and does just as good for games. or the phenom II x4 or fx 6100 or 4100 all cheaper than i5 and still do great in games

max ram you need for gaming is 4 but i would go to 8 just to be safe in case i want to run a server or something

the case is nice but there are better cases are more of a personal style thing though

thats my 2cents how much did the build cost you?

Thanks for your input! It cost me around $1400. It performs great!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 2:26:02 AM

gabrielkipp77 said:
I'd really appreciate feedback...

No geez as in cool.

But if you want feedback, I think you spent too much going with the 3820. But its whatever.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 3:21:55 AM

yeah its a beast of a computer. and probably will last 5 years unless there is a huge jump (happens sometimes) and if there is a jump i bet all you would need to upgrade is your gpu cause cpus tend to last unless they burn out. i game with a phenom 8400 triple core 2.1 its great but it is starting to hold me back and its a old mediocre processor
m
l
October 24, 2012 5:45:48 AM

Thanks guys for the input! I'm concerned about the temps, On load my cpu hits about 50-55 and GPU - up to 80 (Celsius)

I've tried a custom fan curve but its too loud!

Thanks guys! :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 6:06:41 AM

80C on a GPU isnt terrible, but its hot. If your GPU is old, get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of it.
m
l
October 24, 2012 6:17:16 AM

Deemo13 said:
80C on a GPU isnt terrible, but its hot. If your GPU is old, get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of it.

The fins of the fan are quite dusty. I've been meaning to get a couple can. Do you know any retailers who sell them in Australia? If not, ill just get some online.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 7:09:11 AM

I'm actually from the states, so I have no idea.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 8:11:18 PM

well most supermarkets in US sell them so try there. or if you have an air compressor it works to just dont turn it up all the way. i think most gpus can get to 160c before frying but 80 is very high. my 9800gts is a energy card it has about the same power as a normal one but the fan is way worse than normal its like a laptop fan and the heatsing is also very small and it idles around 60c and underload max is 70 but usually 65-68c

dusting it out should help temps

also putting an exhaust on back should help since the air will flow from front straight to back cooling and pushing out hot air
m
l
!