Dual boot Windows and Mac OS?

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
How hard is this to do? Is it plagued with weird little problems that pop up all the time and is limited to only the bravest few crazy enough to try such a thing? or is it pretty common and user friendly? I know there are a lot of "how to's" on the internet, I'm just kind of wondering how common it is and if it causes much trouble for people. It's a build for my sister and her fiance as a wedding gift; he wants Mac, she wants Windows, neither of them are very tech savvy lol. Thanks!

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
We can't help you with creating a Hackintosh (putting Mac OSX on a desktop/laptop PC) as it's against Apple's OSX EULA and therefore illegal. If she wants a Mac, get her a Mac, then buy Windows 7 and Bootcamp that.

nbelote, that's not what he's talking about. What he's talking about (I think) is installing windows on a mac. Also, breaking an EULA isn't illegal - it's against the terms and services of the EULA. What is is is a civil matter, meaning they can sue you for copyright infringement. Big whoop.

As to the OP, yes, it's trivial to install windows on a Mac, and shouldn't cause any troubles - it's still a computer, after all.

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I'm talking about putting Mac on a Windows based build. I'm sure it can be done, and I don't really doubt my ability to figure it out, I was just wondering if it is more common than i think and if two non-techy people would be able to handle it.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Have you thought about using a VM? VMware can do it and it's fun to play around with. If you just want to get used the osx it's the best way to go.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Go here for hackintosh info:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Tom's leadership have decided (I don't agree) that this is an allowable topic. Go here for more info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1137-69-osx86-hackintosh-thread

Installing OS X on a PC isn't too difficult. Maintaining it is difficult (applying updates, etc).

If you want a Mac, then buy one (and use Bootcamp) as previously suggested.

Good luck!

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

hmm...it's so crazy it just might work! here's the sitch...

the guy i'm making it for has always used a Mac for his photo/video editing. He already has a macbook that he does most of his editing with, but he wanted something more powerful aka a desktop. If i built him a Windows computer and put a VM on there with Mountain Lion or something, do you think he would be able to sync his stuff pretty easily? For instance, he has final cut pro on his macbook, would he be able to install it on a virtual machine? Forgive me, I know next to nothing about virtual machines. Thanks!

zdbc13

Distinguished
I'm not a VM guru either. Just started working with them a couple of months ago. If you make the VM "persistent" with plenty of hard drive space it will probably install all right. As far as syncing I'm not sure but you could try it on an existing PC and test it out. I've been able to access usb devices without too much trouble. Is that the way the macbook communicates? Also google it for more information. Virtual machines are a booming topic and fascinating.