GTX460 Overheating and shutting down, What To Do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Today I got my new GTX460 of sparkle ( in replacement of GTS450 ) The card I got today isn't brand new. It is used and maybe a repaired one.

So now I installed it in my system and checked the temp of it using different softwares and all are showing 55-60 on idle. Whenever I start any 3D application it goes to 80-90 very fast. When I play game then after 10-15 minute my system comes to black screen no display mode.

So What can be the issue ? the fan of graphic card is running as it should. Can it be a bad card issue ? or something else ?

I recently got new power supply Corsair VS450 and I think PSU cannot be the problem... Now please help me guyz.. What should I do.

I took out the heat sink and I saw there was enough wet thermal paste on the chip. So I applied the heat sink again tightly and again started pc, Also tried another power supply and still the same problem.. just turns off within 10 mins. And also the fan runs soo fast like it's on 100% speed... I think I will have to get a new card.. what say ? GTX460 is discontinued now so They have GTX550ti available in stock which is 100% new and sealed.. But for that I will need to pay 25$ extra to them

Make sure there is no dust in the heatsink, and you may want to just re-apply the thermal paste. Get some Arctic Silver 5 and smack it on there. I've got the Sparkle GTX460 and it runs pretty cold in my Antec Sonata ( a case with very little airflow). Given the room is quite cold, it never goes above 73C.

And don't get a 550Ti. Its worse than your GTX460.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I understand you took off the heatsink, but did you clean it? Also, if there isn't any dust in there and the card is still overheating, it could be the PSU. Sometimes, if the PSU is not powerful enough to support a graphics card that could lead to overheating of the GPU and later on- damage. Nvidia's listed requirement is 450W, but I'd give it a quality 500W just to be sure.

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I tried Corsair 600W PSU and issue is still the same.. temp goes up too fast just when any 3d app runs.

Also the heat sink is crystal clear as it came from the company.. I also re applied some thermal paste and still it's overheating like somebody just put fire on it

Set the fan to 100% if it is humid in your home or outside for that matter with MSI Afterburner. That should bring the temps down a little at the very least. If that doesn't help tell us how hot it is outside then maybe some solutions can be worked out. Most here on this forum don't know what it is like to live in a hot climate.

Clean the cooler if you can and if there is any built up dust. Changing the compound helps and I do it on my gtx 460 every few months as it tends to dry out. As for mods, a cooling related mod for the power vrm phases at the back of the card goes a Long ways even to extending the life of the card. I bought mine two years ago and like 6,000 hours of wow and everything else not a single problem.

Why not? I don't have any temp problems but I always end up jumping the gun thinking I got dust build up but never as much after changing the fans. The original fans built up rather quickly but I changed to high flow 80mm fans so dust dost build like it used to however I am considering another mod. I am slowly gathering aluminum plate that I am going to use for the vram.

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

Tried setting the fan @ 100% and it ran superfast and still whenever I launch any 3d app temp goes up to 80-100 within 30 seconds.

My Room is Air Conditioned and the temperature is 20-23 Degree Celsius.

Cooler and all graphic card is crystal clear. what to do now :(

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
there is enough wet thermal paste. anyways can just a thermal paste cause overheating of card ? I have changed put out my CPU and it's fan many times and there is no thermal paste on CPU so why it doesn't overheat ?

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Well I have sent the card back to the service center and will be getting a new one in the evening.

So tell me guyz, Which card should I get now ? they says 4 series is discontinued and they have 5 and 6 series cards.. GTX550ti is below 460 and still I will need to pay 25$ extra for that.. Please suggest me a good replacement card. Thnx

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
as I don't use 3d apps much ( including games ) I don't want to spend much on these things. I do gaming only on sundays, other days I do general work. My PC is powered on 24x7... So I would like to get a replacement card within the range of paying 20-40$ more

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Just talked to Service center again and they are saying that my card is already 2 year and 10 month old and the warranty left is only 2 months. They are saying that 4 series is not coming in stock now so they are offering me Brand new Sealed GTX550ti by paying 25$ extra and GTX560 by paying 50$ extra.. They are saying that if I take any of these they will give me 3 year warranty again from today and will also give me new printed invoice of the card.. What should I do guyz ? pls help

KashishGupta

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
GTX460 is discontinued and is not in stock so they can't give me a new 4 series card.. They have 5 and 6 series cards only. Pls read my last comment.

additional info: I play games at 1440x900 resolutions, I used to play all games at max settings very smoothly with great FPS with my GTS450.. then after nearly 3 years of use it got defective and Sparkle gave me refurbished GTX460 as replacement..

Now The GTX460 I received was also defective and I sent it back to them and I will be getting a fresh card in the evening... I have 2 choices.. 550ti or 560

for 550ti I need to pay 25$ extra and for 560 I need to pay 50$.. what to do ? I don't have much time

Status
Not open for further replies.