Solved

Upgrading PC, not very experienced

I built a PC about 4 years ago with some help. My motherboard went bad so I'm looking to upgrade my MOBO, CPU, GPU and RAM. I'm only fairly knowledgeable on this stuff, and I'm a little worried about picking the right parts for my money. I'm also concerned about compatibility between components, and I'd appreciate some advice.

I was using:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (which is now bad)

Core 2 Duo 3GHz

Geforce GTX 260

2x Adata DDR2 800 2gx16

I'd like to use the same hard drive to avoid redoing my OS and settings, if possible. It's a Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm.

I'd be able to spend around $700, maybe a bit more. Any help or advice here is greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading experienced
  1. Best answer
    You are probably going to have to re-install Windows, but sometimes you can get away with not reinstallijng it.

I'm not sure if you have a case or not. But I will include one anyway.

Here's how I would build it (in the essence of saving some buck):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.97 @ CompUSA)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.22 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $634.15
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

If you want to spend all of your money, then you can go for a 7950 or something.
  2. Deemo's build is great for the price!
  3. Thanks for the build advice, I hope to be building it this weekend.

Regarding the windows reinstall, why would I need to reinstall everything if I'm reusing the same hard drive? I was hoping since it's already set up I'd be able to boot up and just download whatever drivers I needed and be good to go. This isn't exactly my area of expertise, obviously.
  4. Because the computer won't boot, as it is trying to use the old drivers to boot. Sometimes you get lucky, and others you don't.
  5. Best answer selected by sethicles.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product