My computer restarts on its own

Hey guys my computer has been restarting on its own at random and i dont have a clue of what could be causing it ... i recently removed the power source i had on it along with my graphics card and put it in to my new computer i built and replace the stock psu that came with it. i had it put away in storage could the original psu gone bad ? I dont know what to do!
4 answers Last reply
More about computer restarts
  1. I dont think its software because i havent had a blue screen but it restarts itself once every hour or so its an hp Intel Core 2 processor Q8300, 8 gb memory
  2. Click the start button, type in "view event logs" in the search box, and click "View Event Logs in Control Panel".

Click on the Windows Logs - and Click System. Scroll through looking for the date/time it shut down, there should be entries as to why it shut down. If there aren't any entries - Windows didn't shut the computer down.

When windows doesn't shut down properly - it would have asked you if you want to enter safe mode and/or do a Windows recovery. If this is happening, you more than likely have a bad PSU (although it could be other components).
  3. Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 3/7/2013 12:02:33 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  4. I would replace the power supply - that error indicates that 99% of the time it is the power supply. If it were other components, they would have been logged also.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Graphics Cards Power Source Components