Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Glue on your GPU? O.o

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2012 7:39:17 PM

Yesterday when I had my GPU installed it hardly fit in my case and it couldn't be fastened in with that screw thing so the guy at the computer shop used a glue gun to connect it to my PCI-e port or whatever and I was just wondering if this would damage my GPU.

More about : glue gpu

a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 7:41:41 PM

Get back in the store and punch that guy in the face as hard as you can. If the screw doesn't work, that card should be RMA'd.
August 28, 2012 7:44:00 PM

auntarie said:
Get back in the store and punch that guy in the face as hard as you can. If the screw doesn't work, that card should be RMA'd.

It does not work because of the case. It's badly designed and the screw is on the inside of the case instead of the outside and he couldn't find a screwdriver to fit in there. But still doesn't answer the question will this damage anything? :o 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 28, 2012 7:45:31 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
WTF, and how do you get it out now when you want to upgrade or when it's broken.

He said he will do it free of charge without damaging any components.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 7:46:52 PM

WTF, and how do you get it out now when you want to upgrade or when it's broken.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 7:50:06 PM

Sorry, but this guy is an idiot. He should have a tiny screwdriver which fits, or he should buy it.

Best solution

a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 7:52:04 PM

It should not effect it now btw, to answer your original question.
August 28, 2012 7:52:45 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
It should not effect it now btw, to answer your original question.

Thanks lol. And yeah when it needs to come out and if anything breaks he will be buying whatever that breaks for sure. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't melt and catch on fire.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 7:54:45 PM

I assume he knows what glue to use for this ( even though he's an idiot :pt1cable:  )

Let's hope his shop doesn't get closed due to recession or whatever . . .
August 28, 2012 7:59:35 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
I assume he knows what glue to use for this ( even though he's an idiot :pt1cable:  )

Let's hope his shop doesn't get closed due to recession or whatever . . .

Well, he has 20 years of experience apparently and his store is REALLY nice. Plus he told me he used glue to build his daughters gaming PC (not CPU derp) and shipped it to the states from canada and it was fine for a year or 2
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:02:03 PM

Wow, two years . . . Probably due to the Canadian weather ;) 
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:11:41 PM

Take a pic for us and you will have plenty of help to getting it done on your own.
August 28, 2012 8:13:01 PM

nforce4max said:
Take a pic for us and you will have plenty of help to getting it done on your own.

I absolutely hate messing around in there by myself. i tried to do it and I took my old 7850 out and man I was shaking and sweating the whole time. I don't like touching the components lol
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:14:58 PM

you realize that the card will eventually wiggle out of the slot because of fans and vibrations - which is the reason screws are used...
August 28, 2012 8:19:31 PM

nforce4max said:
If you shake then you need to calm down, if it is medical related then go cool down and eat something. It is very easy to do hardware related work once you give your self the time and a little confidence :) 

I have always had shaky hands. but It's because i think about it more and I'm afraid to shock it and break the part.
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:20:13 PM

If you shake then you need to calm down, if it is medical related then go cool down and eat something. It is very easy to do hardware related work once you give your self the time and a little confidence :) 
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:22:00 PM

dingo07 said:
you realize that the card will eventually wiggle out of the slot because of fans and vibrations - which is the reason screws are used...

Which explains the 2 year lifespan.

Touching the inside of the pc is exciting, arousing and even sexy !!! Almost as good as GDAS.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:36:15 PM

vickus420 said:
I have always had shaky hands. but It's because i think about it more and I'm afraid to shock it and break the part.

Well I can attest in the 30 yrs of building PC's for myself, friends and buyers that I have never used glue in a PC. This sounds like you should go back there and tell him to put it together right or give you your money back and you will go elsewhere.

Did you get in writing that he will remove that video card for you and replace it if his glue job doesn't work? He can just tell you that he didn't do that and it must have been you that did it.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 8:42:01 PM

Funny how an allegedly experienced PC tech ends up GLUING a card because he does not have a screwdriver suitable for screwing brackets on the inner side of the case

All my PCs except one has inner bracket, only one has exterior and I personally hate external ones because it is easy for the protrusion to snag something and the little plate that covers the open area around slots means extra screws to remove/reinstall every time something gets changed. With inner brackets, no need to mess with slots other than those I need to work on.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 9:28:16 PM

This story is like it has been taken right out of RinkWorks :D 
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 9:56:44 PM

ahnilated said:
Well I can attest in the 30 yrs of building PC's for myself, friends and buyers that I have never used glue in a PC. This sounds like you should go back there and tell him to put it together right or give you your money back and you will go elsewhere.

Did you get in writing that he will remove that video card for you and replace it if his glue job doesn't work? He can just tell you that he didn't do that and it must have been you that did it.

I have seen silicone been used on old 1990s era machines to cement the end of the card to the slot. At least it comes off the cards and boards with ease.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:01:48 PM

nforce4max said:
I have seen silicone been used on old 1990s era machines to cement the end of the card to the slot. At least it comes off the cards and boards with ease.

If you mount the card correctly then you don't need to apply anything else to get them to stay in the slots. I have seen tons of stuff over the years used because people don't know what they are doing. Going from Silicone, hot glue, tar, wood glue to running a screw through the motherboard because someone told them it would hold really well.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:05:27 PM

:pt1cable:  :lol:  Screw that mobo. Thought i was an idiot.
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:20:20 PM

I forgot what site but I have read stories like that. Once an home maker decided to clean her pc, she disassembled then dump the lose parts into a large bucket of bleach water and windex. Only to end up calling in a service tech. Another was when an old woman got mad at her imac then took a shot gun to finish it off. The last but not least was when a guy bought a 486 (back when they were still modern) to upgrade his 286. The end result was a dead 286 era board and a fried 486.
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:21:58 PM

A strategically placed tie wrap is all it needs, get rid of the glue ASAP
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 10:29:46 PM

nforce4max said:
Another was when an old woman got mad at her imac then took a shot gun to finish it off.

Well, . . ., i once put a stiletto knife in my Commodore 64 when i was younger ( obviously ) and a bit of a hothead. ( The damned thing WAS cheating !!! ) ( It really was . . . )

She died in my arms . . . :cry: 

Good to hear though i'm not the only loony tune. :D 
August 29, 2012 12:06:48 AM

Best answer selected by vickus420.
!