What kind of case should I use to build a new computer in for College

Ghost_Me

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I am going to be going to college next year, but I am planning ahead and want to build a new PC as the time gets closer. But I have been thinking about the case a lot and am at a dilemma. I sort of want a small case so that it is easy to get to the college, and eventually back home but too small means I can't upgrade. I really liked the Sugo SG07 case, and the Thermaltake chaser MK-I, and A30. I may have messed up the names there, but the Sugo SG07 take an ITX mobo, and the only thing I could really change with it is the GPU, and it takes uncommon parts like a slim Optical drive which costs more. The A30 on the otherhand is nice, but it takes up more area than my current Dell Inspiron 560 desktop. So I guess its getting down to what kind of case should I get for college haha. Should I just use the current case I have from the Dell Inspiron 560? It has like no fans tho....

Thanks!

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
What's your budget, both for the overall system and what you think you'd want to spend on the case?

You can build a perfectly respectable gaming rig on an ITX format these days, but it can be a bit tricky to get your clearances right. If you really want to go that small and your budget is big enough, I would say to just look into buying an Origin Chronos or Falcon Northwest Tiki.

Micro ATX would give you some room to upgrade without being too onerous to lug around, and it would probably be a little more forgiving to build / work on if you want to go ahead and do it yourself.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
The best cases I've seen (in terms of airflow and features) are Rosewill's R5 and Thor V2 for $75 and $106.25. The V2 is roomier and has a little more technology to it, the R5 has tons of fan placement and addition options. Also they're super cheap compared to similar products.
The best I've seen in terms of build quality are Cooler Master's haf series. The haf 922 at $100 is a great deal in terms of a very durable and well-built case, but doesn't have quite as many features as the V2.
Edit: noticed your looking for smaller cases. I'm in college and my case is the same size as the R5. Have had no problems moving it. I haven't found any cases that match build quality and features of a v2 or a haf 922 and come anywhere near the price.