Playing movies from external source to computer...

G

So a few of you may have noticed my posts, but I'm planning out a new computer for myself that I'm going to build over the next few weeks. I've almost settled on all of the components I'm going to need, but I've hit a snag.

See, I absolutely have my heart set on a case with only three 5 1/4" drive bays. But, I'm also planning to use two hard drives, with an acoustic enclosure for each. So, this leaves me with only one open bay. But, I would like to watch DVDs on my computer, and also have to burn CDs. I have an el cheapo DVD-ROM drive that I absolutely refuse to grandfather into the new system, but I also have a very nice standalone DVD player which I haven't used in a while, because I don't own a television.

So, what I'm thinking is that I could buy a new DVD-ROM drive, a SCSI or Firewire controller card, and an external burner - but that's three new purchases, and I don't want cheap components.

I've also heard of a CDRW/DVD-ROM drive, but I've got a feeling that it would give me all kinds of trouble.

But there's another possible solution, and a member of the forum has offered to sell me a TV-Wonder card to accomplish this. What if I hooked my DVD player up to the S-Video in on the TV-Wonder card, and watched movies that way? I know the max resolution of the TV-Wonder is not the same as the native resolution of the DVD format, so I wonder if anybody else has tried this before. If so, what kind of results did you get?

The cool side effect is that I would once again have a TV, and I would also be able to transfer all of my old VHS tapes to CDR - something I've wanted to do for a long time. So I'm very interested as to how much I'd be compromising the visual quality of my DVDs.

G

I am curently using the Pioneer A03 DVR.
A trully all in one DVD-CD thingy, and working perfect.
Having it you can watch DVDs on the computer and apart from the standard CD-R/W capebilities you can also Burn DVD-R/RW.
One bay and have it all......

G

...For about the cost of a 15-17 inch LCD display. I'm thinking no. :)

TRENDING THREADS