Is it possible to set my PC up to use my HDTV like a monitor?

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this...Mod please move to correct forum if not.

Basically, I want to watch Hulu and other internet only entertainment, but I want to view it on my HDTV.

I need some help figuring out how exactly I should do this.

Thanks,
-TG

You can if your PC has one of the same connections the TV set also has. The D-Sub 15 pin connector is usually found on TVs these days so buy a cable of the right length and that will do the trick.

If you want higher grade pictures you'll need an HDMI connection on the PC and your HD TV wlil almost certainly have one of those a well. That could mean having to upgrade your PC's graphics card.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
My PC graphics card has 2 DVI outputs and an S-Video output. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter that came with the card (HIS Radeon 4770). I think I'll be able to just get an HDMI cable and pretty much be good to go.

I've narrowed it down to these 2 cable choices...is there one I should for sure get that's better than the other one?

Aurum High Speed HDMI Cable (25 Ft) Supports 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return [Newest Version] - 25 Feet for $5.99.

Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable (25 Ft) With Ethernet - CL3 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Hdmi Version Available] - 25 Feet for $10.99.

I'm leaning toward the $10.99 one unless I'm convinced otherwise. The $5.99 cable seems to be a thicker gauge though, which I read is better when going long distances to preserve the picture quality.

Will the sound go through the DVI adapter to the HDMI cable so I can listen on the TV speakers, or will I just have to use my PC speakers?

Is there a way to easily control what images go to what screens? A guy at Best Buy told me that the easiest way would be to unplug one DVI port and switch between TV and PC as needed. That doesn't sound ideal...is there a better/easier way to just leave both hooked up all the time?

Thanks,
-TG