Not open for further replies.

tprezzle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hey guys.

First off, the hardware in question:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H
Radeon HD6850

This is the first discrete GPU I've had on this computer so my problem won't be old drivers lingering. Basically, I've fitted my new 6850 in the PCIx16 slot of my mobo, fitted both power connectors and ensured the card is in place. (It runs when the PC is on, so I know all is connected ok - noisy too...)

When I tried installing drivers, it did not give me the option to install Catalyst Control Center, which confused me. I then worried that it might be because my GPU was not being detected - turns out I was right.

It's not listed in the device manager, nor anywhere else. There is no evidence anywhere of my computer recognizing the card (apart from the sound of the fans)

Can anyone tell me what's going on? There's not a great deal more I can say to be honest, so this is more of a troubleshooter thread...

Oh, and my PSU is an XFX 850W so that's not the problem.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Are you using an on-board GPU and your discreet GPU at the same time? My recommendation would be to verify your monitor is connected to your add on card, and not an on board. If you get anything on your display then the card is working properly. If you get an error message you may need to modify your BIOS settings to disable the on-board video. After you log into windows, download the newest catalyst drivers from AMD's website here.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

tprezzle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thing is, I don't have a monitor or adapter with the necessary connections as of yet, so I just wanted to install it until I do get those.

Also, how would I go about ensuring that BIOS settings are set for a discrete GPU?

tprezzle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Did have a look but Gigabyte have a habit of making their manuals unnecessarily lengthy. I find it harder to see than I did before UEFI came out!

But anyway, if I set that init display first, it will use the GPU instead?

EDIT: Seems to reset back to Auto every time I choose PCI and then reboot. Because I'm not plugged into the GPU I presume?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If you are using an on-board video card and you don't have connections for your discreet video card, you will have problems. Plug your xbox/ps3 into your wall, then turn them on without connecting them to a TV. They will sit there and blink the power light at you, but never turn on.

The same thing happens to them, that is happening to your video card. It knows when it has a monitor attached, and until it does it has no reason to turn itself on.

Step 1, connect a monitor. Try that then get back to us.

tprezzle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Got my monitor hooked up now.

When the initial video is set to PEG or even PCI they revert back to auto every time. Only the IGFX stays selected if you choose that and then restart.

Ideas?

tprezzle

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Why necro this?

Anyway, as nobody followed up with replies I had to find out myself. Turned out it was my PCI slot not playing nciely with the card, it works fine in the other slot.

Try put your card in a different slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.