Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I am building a gaming PC

Parts
i5 3570
Gtx 670(msi pe or galaxy)
Asus z77
R4 case and ssd,hdd etc...

My main concern is with the the new line of Amd 8000 series GPU's coming out soon, undoubtedly followed by the nvidia 700 series. Not only that, Haswell and it's new chipset will probably be out by next August. I am asking for someone to shed some light on the upcoming GPU's and whether I should wait till they come out. Also is Haswell really worth it?
Help would be greatly appreciated;)

You're going to be waiting awhile. Then when it comes out, you are going to hear rumors about the new chips, and then wait.

I would just buy now really. Parts are going pretty cheap.

If you are using a non-K processor, there is no point to a Z77 board. Get a H77 instead.

If you are using the 3570K, get a CPU cooler.

g-unit1111

Titan
You're going to be waiting awhile. Then when it comes out, you are going to hear rumors about the new chips, and then wait.

That plus after a major change in architecture like Keppler (NVIDIA 6XX) or Pitcarin (AMD Radeon 78XX) you have to keep in mind that the next generation is going to be just a slightly altered rehash of the current generation anyways - the drivers are what will make the difference there. Really every other generation is when you see a huge rebuild from the ground up - like with cars.

Also is Haswell really worth it?

You can't judge by the hype. Since Ivy Bridge has only been out a couple of months now - expect to wait at least a year before we see Haswell come out (maybe two with the way Intel runs things :lol: ). When it's out it will use a brand new socket and chipset.

LuckyCharm

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I will probably buy during Black Friday/Cyber Monday since its coming around the corner. Also I will be using the k version with a light overclock. What coolers would be adequate?

g-unit1111

Titan

Probably just a Hyper 212 Evo will do the trick. If you want something a bit more than that check out the Noctua NH-U9B and EVGA M020.