Acceptable Temp Range for CPU/GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny6

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Could someone please give me a general idea what the acceptable temp range should be for my CPU and GPUs? I realize this is a pretty basic question, and I've found decent answers on the web, but unfortunately each answer fails to either
■ Explain the method to derive the temp. I know there are many different tools out there.
or
■ It is for a different GPU/CPU.

I am definitely a noob, I'm having some problems and I've been banging my head against the wall for several weeks. I think my current GPUs are bad and I'm wondering if they've gotten too hot in the past. I'm about to buy replacements, so I'd really like to have a rock solid range and measuring tool in place to monitor the temps of the new cards. This is the first system I've ever built and I'm wondering if the case doesn't have enough air flow to support the cards. I've always felt like the system was a little unstable, but the only game I've tried to play is CIV 5 and apparently there are tons of people having problems with it, so I never knew if it was my rig or the game. Now the problems are getting worse and occurring outside of the game, so I'm going to try to start ruling out the different hardware components, but I don't want to fry the new ones too!

MB: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Current Graphics Cards: 2 BFG Nvidia GTX 295
New Graphics Cards: 2 Asus Radeon HD 7870
CPU: i7

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

First cool down! It's very unlikely that one of your components overheated in the past, because they should shut down before that (unless you have switched that off).
For measuring the temps I recommend the tool that came with the component (MB, GPU) The manufacturer always knows best where the sensors are, what the offset is and what the acceptable ranges are. The default setting of the tool will tell you that.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
For any correctly created modern CPU/GPU the maximum safe operating temperature is somewhere around 90C. If you reach these temperatures they should not be for extended periods of time. The maximum extended operating temperature should be at 80c or lower.

The maximum temperature before silicone / solder damage starts is right around 100c. If your CPU or GPU ever hit 100c, then it is possible they are damaged, also if they ever ran at 95C+ for extended periods of time, then it is likely they are damaged.

Download and run OCCT ( http://www.ocbase.com/ ) select the power supply test on your system, this will push your HDD, ram, CPU and GPU at the same time (stressing the power supply.)

There are frequency, memory, and temperature monitors to show you whats happening with your system. Run the test for 30 minutes and watch your system the whole time. If your video starts giving you artifacts/garbage, then its probably running too hot or been damaged, if you get a BSOD, then your CPU/motherboard may be damaged. If your system locks up or restarts then its probably your power supply.

Good luck. :)

Johnny6

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Thanks for the info guys. Just as an FYI, I have already downloaded OCCT. However, I didn't use the Power Supply test, but I'll be sure to try your suggestion. I can get it to BSOD after a few minutes using the GPU Test. The BSOD error message pointed to the Nvidia card so that was my first suspect. Anyways, thank you for the information.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the best pick Johnny. If you are seeing a CCC*.* or NV*.* type BSOD, then try using msi afterburner to decrease your video card clocks back to stock settings. If they are already at stock, try dropping the memory clocks by 10% then test again, then chip clocks by 10% then test again.

If dropping clocks below stock resolve the issue, your video card manufacturer should replace the cards, as long as the heat sink has not been tampered with.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thats for the disheartening replies Jellwood. Fortunatly Johnny stated that his current video cards are 7970's, and his previous were GTX 295's. Since BFG was never really with the amd camp, this shouldn't impact Johnny, but that still sucks :(

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
No no it wasn't the way you replied that was disheartening so much as the content. I was sad to find out BFG is no longer honoring their warranties :(

Additional input is always welcome, I know I am not always right, and the more options the users have the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.