260GTX Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

barakbk

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Every now and then I receive the following messasge:
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Before the notification pops up the screen blackouts for a few seconds.
I have tried replacing the driver software, as well as changing the Timeout Detection thing.

As far as I remember, the issue started a few weeks ago.
The card itself (260GTX) was pretty clean, the temperatures are around 50°C.

An interesting thing I noticed:
If my computer is idle for about 3 minutes (not using the keyboard or the mouse) the driver crashes, however,
if I move the mouse sometimes, everything seems to be fine. (Tested while watching a movie)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It's a pretty common issue for modern Nvidia cards. I had exact same thing with 480 in the past, with 560 during this winter, and with 570 a couple of months ago.
I think it happens because of a faulty design of the build (chip aren't pressed hard enough to the plate of the cooler). If you can still RMA it, I highly suggest doing so.
As far as I've tested entire 4-- and 5-- line, I only had this problem with 480, 560 and 570.
Never had this problem with any of the 6-- line, so looks like they fixed it in the later releases.

barakbk

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
How can you explain the fact that it happens only when my PC is totally IDLE? If I watch a movie and keep moving the mouse around, everything seems to be fine...

Physically check the card's power vrm's inductors. The little gray box like things if you don't know what they are to see if they seam to be lose or even rattle when you shake the card. On the 65nm models this is a very common problem while the newer ones used a different design.

If yours has a back plate then it is the older design beyond that try lowering the clocks and see if that helps.